Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Prevent re-publishing of many images

I have an online catalog with many images. I use HTML DBSCript to get the filenames of the images I need to display at any point in time.

My problem is that there are about 100 images, each about 150KB. They don't need to be published to the server each time. How do I prevent this from happening?

Thanks

Louis
Wednesday, August 04, 2004

One way is to put the images in a separate folder outside of CD and link to them by name from inside CD. I’ve done that a lot because I don’t like to have too many large images tucked away in one big blob in CD.

Jorgen B.

I would've said publish to a folder & then FTP the files with the setting "do not replace files if a newer version exists on the server" but I realized CityDesk would probably stamp the files at publish time.

I really don't know why CityDesk publishes all the static files every time, shouldn't it just compare the two citydesk.xml files and determine that they're the same file?

www.MarkTAW.com

CityDesk normally doesn't republish images, pdfs, etc if they haven't changed since last time you published. The exception is if you publish from different computers at different times - this seems to screw CityDesk's checksumming, and makes it republish everything.

Darren Collins

Just to clarify what I wrote above: There is nothing wrong with the way CD handles images. It’s done as Darren describes. Having large and (almost) never changing images outside CD is just a way for me to keep the size of the cty. file down at a manageable amount of megabytes. But of course it prevents me from using “magic numbers”.

CD will always use the most safe update policy when you publish. If in doubt about a file, CD publishes it just to be on the safe side. Not so bad when you consider the alternative :)

Jorgen B.
Thursday, August 05, 2004

Thanks. I will FTP the images separately and link them into Citydesk. The images are numbered based on their product code, so I dont use magic numbers for them.

Thanks

Louis
Thursday, August 05, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home