Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

How to recover a deleted cty file

Hi,

I have mistakenly deleted the .cty of my site and not able to recover the file using file recovery tools. The files are already published to the server and the site is in use. how can i convert the published files to .cty file? Is there any solution to this.

alluvignesh
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Unfortunately there isn't.  What is on the server is the product of combining your templates and your articles... But your templates and your articles don't exist in their separated state except in the .cty file.

Although it should be fairly easy for you to reconstruct the file.  Choose Import Web Page for your pages and you can gradually make the new ones use the templates you create and modify the old ones when you get time.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Maybe this tool can help a bit. Never used it myself but it sound right for the job. It's called CD:FTP alpha. You can find it at http://www.telepark.de/webwizards/navigation/tools/cdftp.html

PeterM
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

I had to do this once. You copy the article text, headline, and teaser into a new CityDesk file by hand & rebuild the template. A pain in the ass, but it's the best way. Then you replace all your cityscript & test the site for oddness.

And next time, back up your .cty file.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

I confess to having not used CD lately, but doesn't the latest version backup your files somewhere?

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

It doesn't do the backups by default, it has to be enabled in the "file > backup site..." menu.

Personally, I keep 5 backups of each site, then those get backed up to a second drive each night.

Ron Lane
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

How do you do that, backing up to a different drive? You can specify only one location in the backup dialogue. Do you use an external utility? Can you recommand one?

Ruud van Soest
Wednesday, August 04, 2004

That is correct, basicly I just backup all of the My Documents folder each night with a utility. The particlular one in this case is from Karenware at 

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp 

it is the one called Replicator.

Ron Lane

If you use the printfriendly feature then it would be easier to reconstruct your site using the printer friendly pages and importing them into CD. They are just text and not any of the template stuff.

Anyway, I use http://www.tgrmn.com/  for backups and mirroring.

John

John Cesta

>That is correct, basicly I just backup all of the My >Documents folder each night with a utility. The particlular >one in this case is from Karenware at 

Thanks alot Ron. You just swept half my day away from me. I spent it at karenware.com checking out her programs. She's got some nice usable programs.

:))

So, thanks alot Ron....

John

John Cesta

Sorry about that John, I know the feeling.

Ron Lane

OH yeah, there's a lot of neat stuff at Karen's Powertools site. Thanks for the link. :)

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, August 06, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home