Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

HTMLDBScript 1.5

I'm releasing it.  The only major feature is that it now supports making detail pages for you.  Check it out

http://www.greenwave-solutions.com/HTMLDBScriptForCityDesk.html

Thanks to those that beta tested it (especially Bob Bloom).

Lou Franco
Monday, August 02, 2004

This is a huge advance for CityDesk: you can now make pages from a set of database records. Your "database" can be Access, a spreadsheet or even a CSV file - anything that's ODBC-compliant).

So ... Got a bunch of catalogue items listed in Excel with detailed descriptions and frequently-changing prices? Whack them into a spreadsheet on a network drive, tell your admin person to kep them up to date, and run CityDesk every night at 3am to update anything that's changed.

I had a brief look at HTMLDBScript 1.5 during the beta period (and gave Lou no feedback because I couldn't spend much time on it). But in my very limited trials, it just worked as advertised. 600-row spreadsheets were no problem - you could create a bunch of indexes, and 600 individual pages as well.

In fact, you get most of the functionality that Xlinesoft ( http://www.xlinesoft.com/ ) will charge you $US129 for in DBtoHTML Express.

Somebody give Lou a medal.

David Walker
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

David,

Many thanks for your special mention :-)

I'd love to hear comments in this forum from users of HTML_DbSCRIPT.

Since my content is in my Access db, I just open my mdb file, update it, and that's it. Later, when I publish my CD site, there's no update on my site! Why? Because CD didn't run/evaluate/redo (whatever the lexicon is) my article, since my article didn't actually update.

I also tweaked my templates a bit s.t. I could add the right snippets to "makepage".

David, thanks for finishing this version.
-Bob

Bob Bloom
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Bob, I'm just an impressed user from the other side of the world. Lou is the smart guy.

David Walker
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Lou,

I don't have a use for this script now, but I can see that it adds a much needed capability. Thanks for all your time and effort.

BTW, you might want to consider a small help file or readme with the executable.

Robert Pawlak ( www.chessassistance.com )
Saturday, August 14, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home