Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Can Citydesk get round Atoms'z hatred of JS?

I've been using Atomz as a very useful search engine for my site based on Telepark's Forsaa template. I'm now updating to the new Vantaa one which uses Javascript for menus - which Atomz can't understand. The reasons are below. Is there some smart way round this please which wouldn't mean I had to manually enter each new page into Atomz?

What they say....
Are links to other pages on your site embedded in JavaScript?

Problem: On your Web site you may be using sophisticated navigation techniques involving JavaScript to link to other pages. This technique is commonly used to implement roll-over actions in JavaScript enabled browsers. The Atomz search spider cannot follow links that are made as a result of JavaScript on a Web page.

Solution 1: Place hidden links to the other pages in the HTML that contains the JavaScript. Although visitors to your site will not see these links, the Atomz search robot will find them and crawl them. The hidden tags can look as shown below and be placed at the bottom of page just before the </body> tag.
<a href="/mydir/mypag1.html"></a>
<a href="/mydir/mypag2.html"></a>

Solution 2: List the URLs of the additional pages on your site as additional entrypoints for the Atomz search spider. These entrypoints can by set from the "URL Entrypoints" page under "Options". Just make sure the URLs you list begin with http:// as shown below:
http://www.mydomain.com/mydir/mypag1.html
http://www.mydomain.com/mydir/mypag2.html

davidh
Sunday, July 25, 2004

Oh, JavaScript.  I thought that JS referred to Joel Spolsky.  Patrick is the best person to ask your question.  Have you asked on the Telepark forum?

David Burch
Sunday, July 25, 2004

Seems like a hidden link in your template to a "foreach in all" sitemap page would do it. You can set it and forget it.

I'm not sure I'd hide the site map. I like them; they keep me from rummaging around through menus that aren't very helpful.

tk
Sunday, July 25, 2004

Yeah, I agree with TK. You can easily create a single page with all your pages OR include hidden links anywhere you have javascript navigation.

That's the beauty of templating.

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, July 25, 2004

>Patrick is the best person to ask your question.  Have you >asked on the Telepark forum?

My site (www.davidhewson.com) uses Patrick's VANTAA template. He fixed this problem in a couple of hours flat, with a variable and a line of code in the index page. And a couple of other points that had been puzzling an illiterate like me. Can't praise Telepark enough....

davidh
Monday, July 26, 2004

David Hewson,

Nice web site. 
Always nice to find another good read.
FYI: A few of the images and links are broken.

David Burch
Monday, July 26, 2004

Have you tried use the <noindex> and </noindex> tags to tell Atomz to ignore your menu code?

David.

David Watts
Monday, July 26, 2004

I wish I'd read the entire posting before responding!

David Watts
Monday, July 26, 2004

>FYI: A few of the images and links are broken.
For some odd reason the new Citydesk file won't recognise some images already on the server so I'm having to insert them manually from local files imported into CD. Odd... not least because it's inconsistent.
Also I forgot to update some internal links from articles copied from the first file to the new one. It takes a while but I hope I'm getting there....

davidh
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

If it helps, most of the missing images I noticed were on the "story" pages.  Also one of the Leonardo images in the left sidebar was not linked to the article as were the others.

David Burch
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Thanks for spotting those, David. I lazily cut and pasted some of the story articles over from my earlier site. For some odd reason some worked and some didn't. And for some equally odd reason CD insists on slipping in extra line spaces between paras from time to time.
The Da Vinci was pure stupidity - I think it's fixed now. Again, grateful for spotting this.

davidh
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home