Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Minor bug

The publish panel shows up as a 'document' (addressable window) in the task bar. Probably just needs a flag to be set in the resources.

Maury Markowitz
Monday, December 31, 2001

You don't want the publish window to have a taskbar icon?

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, January 01, 2002

This reminds me the the Alt-Tab annoyance thing.

TK
Tuesday, January 01, 2002

No, I don't want it to have a taskbar icon. I would never switch to it on purpose, except to close it. Would anyone ever do this on purpose? Any changes to the site requires a re-publish, so why hunt for it when you can just do the key command from where you are?

In general I think it should be more ephemeral. In CD this window seems to be promoted to first-class-citizen of the UI. However I look at it as similar to Open or Save, not something you want to keep hanging around. I would in fact prefer it to disappear as soon as it's done working.

Maury Markowitz
Wednesday, January 02, 2002

It is the only way to load the browser to preview a site, at least that I've found.
In it's current mode of operation having it stick around is necessary.  Perhaps some kind of checkboxes like those commonly found on startup screens, tips of the day and download dialogs might be useful.  <x> close dialog when finished, and <x> preview with browser when done.

Colin Newell
Saturday, January 12, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home