Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Managing sections of a page

I just started using City Desk after doing a lot of browsing through the forum and reading the documentation.  Unfortunately despite having experience with larger enterprise CMS I'm not sure I'm on the right track with some of my ideas for doing things in City Desk.  My two main questions are how to handle the following:

One Navigation and Footer with varying Section Designs

Page 1
Nav
Design A (graphic on right)
Design A (graphic on right)
Design C (with Headline)
Design B (graphic on left)
Footer

Page 2
Nav
Design D (with Headline & Subheadline)
Design B (graphic on left)
Design C (with Headline)
Footer

Teasers with Varying Content

What is the best way to handle teasers with varying content? The teasers would be a section or multiple sections to the right of the sections mentioned above and spanning the height of the page.  Sometimes with 1 list of links sometimes with more.

Thanks in advance for the input

PRyan
Thursday, July 22, 2004

I ususally begin with my folder organization.  How you organize your web site using folders can be a help or hindrance.  The CityScript file and folder functions can come in handy.  Keywords are also handy, especially if your articles can belong to more than one category index.

I use only articles--never html files--because CityScript only works with articles and folders.  You can get far with just these and HTML.

After that, you've got basically three things to work with: templates, variables, and fields.

One approach that might work for you is two templates: one for the page one style and another for the page two style, separate variables for the navigation and footer,  with teasers stored in WYSIWYG HTMl in the teaser field.

In this approach, the teaser would be put into place using the {$.teaser} variable in the template. 

I also recommend that all your variables be an include of an article: create a folder, stuff the folder full of articles, one per variable and named the same to avoid confusion.  Each variable is just an include of the article which lets you avoid using the crappy variable editor, gives you the richness of the article Normal view and the ability to actually change HTML codes in the HTML view.

Try that.  I'm not sure exactly what you are after, but CityDesk has a limited function set and I usually find a solution that suites me even if I start off on the wrong track.

David Burch
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

David mentioned using articles to hold 'variables'. A detailed explanation of how to do that is here:
http://citydesk.pool-room.com/ContentFragments.html

Darren Collins
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Darren's and Terry's web sites are great starting places (Click on the Terry's Tips and Darren's Tips).

David Burch
Thursday, July 29, 2004

Thanks for the input.  That gives me a few new ideas to try out that I didn't think of or didn't correctly understand.

PRyan
Friday, July 30, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home