Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

The idea of a desktop cms

Just wondering: does anyone know where the idea of a desktop cms originated? Did it originate at Fogcreek or somewhere else? Are there any precursors of desktop cms? Just wondering...

Ruud van Soest
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

I'm sure the concept was around before CityDesk. I had built and was using my own long before Fog Creek released CityDesk, and I'm positive I wasn't the first to think of it.

Darren Collins
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Strictly speaking, the first desktop CMS systems were applications such as NetObjects Fusion (Now Website Pros Fusion) which offered template-based web design.

Other applications of this type include Freeway (Mac only) and Drumbeat 2000 (deboned and devoured by Macromedia).

GeraldH
Thursday, July 22, 2004

It is a matter of definition of course, but I'm not sure if html generating applications like NetObjects Fusion would count as a cms.  Since they don't have the management capabilities, nor do they seperate content from design and technique.

I'am asking because other than Darren I don't remember having seen something like it before - I only know cms'es with centrally located templates and other shared strcutures.

Desktop cms is a brilliant idea. And now suddenly there are two other apps - great for competition and developing the concept and method further. If FC was the first, then the others are inspired by CD and can leapfrog over it. Wonder how FogCreek will react in turn.

Ruud van Soest
Friday, July 23, 2004

I had been using the server side cms solution called back-end for a couple of years, but wanted a way to have a straight html site instead of php-mysql. The quest for an application to do that was more difficult than I thought it would be. CD was only 1 of 2 that I could find, the other was straight2web and it wasn't as functional as CD, now Encore has come on the scene with a plethora of options. For now CD is fine for me.

Ron Lane
Friday, July 23, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home