Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Exposed CD Database Information

I'm hoping to finish my HTML-Help utility, that you can run after publishing your site to disk, over the next couple of months. Initially I'm planning on locking it down to CD (must be running ~ but not carved in stone ... yet) although it'll process any folder with HTML files in it.

I know how to figure out if CD is running. Are there any dangling bits of data that I can pick up on, other than the '%1' which is the path to the generated files? What I'd like to be able to snag is the open database location and having found this I'd like to get the tree-view structure. This'll save the only big step in the process - sorting out the topic tree ~ which means I can (optionally) jump right to compile. Help on either of these would be appreciated.

Perpetual Newbie II
Friday, July 16, 2004

I don't think I can help you with what you are looking for, but when you're ready for beta testers I'm game!
I used to give out cdroms of my complete website (in HTML-help) or have pple download the executable that would install the html-help files and create an icon in their start menu.
It was about 50 Megabytes in total (all languages combined, one .chm file per language linked together).

Rogn
htp://www.life4all.net/

Rognvaldr
Saturday, July 17, 2004

ouch! that would be http

http://www.life4all.net/

Rognvaldr
Saturday, July 17, 2004

Rognvaldr,

"It was about 50 Megabytes in total (all languages combined, one .chm file per language linked together)"

Thanks, you hit the one (well probably not the only one) thing it doesn't use ~ VLinks.

The intent, and ultimately the core design, is to produce HTML-Help for software utilities. Guess I'd have to say 'simple HTML-Help files' although I don't want to. Yes, there are a lot of tools that do this already. Actually, I'm just looking at a new one that was released for Delphi that integrates into the IDE. The one I built is for CD owners, me specifically. It all started with me trying to automate the process of building the required files 'for' HTML-Help Workshop from my CD output ... you set some properties, do some fiddling (the step I'm trying to automate) and it opens HTML-Help Workshop from there ... if you need it to.

Guess I'm trying to say 'it won't do what I perceive as what you want it to do'.

I'll write it all up as an article for my site and post a link to it in this forum when it's ready then if your still interested ...

Thanx for the interest and response
PNII

Perpetual Newbie II
Saturday, July 17, 2004

Ummm, you got me there! What is a vlink? I tried the html-workshop help file, but it doesn't mention it.

Rogn
http://www.life4all.net/

Rognvaldr
Saturday, July 17, 2004

Doh! ALink, sorry.

Perpetual Newbie II
Saturday, July 17, 2004

Hmm, one Lang/CHM linked together through the Index using KLinks. This is completely doable, let me ponder it a bit. I'll open up the project file and have a peek at a few things that I haven't seen for about 6 months and get back to you. It's not something I had planned ...

Perpetual Newbie II
Saturday, July 17, 2004

Sorry for wasting bandwidth here - last post on this, promise. If needs be we can take it to email.

I was right the first time. We'd have to use ALinks. Otherwise all the keywords that allow the topics to 'link together' or come up in a pop-up window would be visible on the Index tab. It is doable but with KLinks you'd have to use one language so this'd be dumb ~ at least the way I'm thinking of it. Using ALinks you've got to add some feature to allow the user access to the list of targets (usually a button) - it doesn't matter what language the linking keyword is in they're invisible (to the user). There's the requirement of compiling multiple files as well, which another issue altogether. It'd take some work to modify what I have to accommodate this type of situation but it's certainly worth me pondering. For this I thank you.

Short Version: Not in the current plan.

If you want to discuss it further, which I'd be more than happy to do, please email me.

Back to CD and other various projects that are on the go.

Thanx
PNII

Perpetual Newbie II
Saturday, July 17, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home