Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Inserting Columns or Tables into Articles

I often need to insert a list or a table into the articles I am trying to publish, but I have not discovered a way to do that. Does anyone have a method for doing so?

Murrel Rhodes
Friday, July 16, 2004

Murrel,

You have to do it in an external program and use cut->paste that is unless you comfortable just writing the code into the topic HTML-View (which I find myself doing more and more).

Every-one has their personal preference for external HTML editor, it has nothing to do with your question but I'm gonna plug the two I use anyway:
HTML-Kit which uses add-ins to well, add-in the functionality you want.
1st Page 2000 which is excellent.
Both are free both are excellent.

HTH
PNII

Perpetual Newbie II
Friday, July 16, 2004

Oooops, II part question, need to answer both parts, sorry :)
re: lists.
Bulleted and Numbered lists can be added using either the Format menu or the buttons on the tool-bar (with the topic in Normal View) it's only tables that need to be done by hand/externally.

PNII

Perpetual Newbie II
Friday, July 16, 2004

Can I just type HTML into the article? That would be great - I've done a lot of html hand-code, but just beginning with City Desk. I really like its generative ability and modifying templates is more what I am used to doing.

Actually I need the lists in 2 r 3 columns ... long lists of only a word or two are rather unappealing.

Murrel Rhodes
Friday, July 16, 2004

Murrel,

Yes, you can type HTML into the HTML mode.

David Burch
Friday, July 16, 2004

Murrel,

Remember that HTML mode is actually XHTML mode. 
XTML is similar to HTML.  All tags must be closed (in the order they are opened), elements are lowercase, and attributes are quoted, etc.

Switching from HTML mode back to Normal mode will validate the tags you have typed in and will occasionaly unceremoniously remove stuff that does not conform to the XHTML standard.  Watch out because you can loose a lot of work this way.

David Burch
Friday, July 16, 2004

Murrel,

I'd like to stress the comment David has made: Switching back and forth between the HTML (where you can just type HTML code directly into the article) and Normal (where you can't) CAN be very dangerous. IF there is an error in your HTML, when CD parses it switching back from Normal you COULD loose a lot of work.

Either make sure your HTML is correct or you've copied it to the clipboard before switching to Normal.

I don't (or very rarely) switch to Normal at all any-more. The Save & Preview button does very nicely at showing what your work looks like and (in most instances) if you've made some mistake.

Not to scare you off, you just need to be aware :)
PNII

Perpetual Newbie II
Friday, July 16, 2004

Just to follow up:

What works really well for me is to use only HTML mode for tmeplates, and to use only WYSIWYG mode for articles.  That keeps my templates using the exact XHTML I entered, and it lets me write articles without thinking about (X)HTML.  That, to me, is the whole point.

Friday, July 16, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home