Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CityDesk 3.0

In June Joel predicted that there would be another major version of CityDesk by the end of 2003.  Next month, CityDesk 2.0 will have been out for a year.  Does anyone think there will be a new version anytime soon?  That is if anyone is here--the posting has been rather thin of late.

me
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

This isn't the answer but Joel does comment here:
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=12425&ixReplies=19

Just for some idle speculation, let's say that Fog folks plan a release by year end and that they do a 4 month beta test. That means we could get it in August. I hope so.

tk
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

At least 4 months and a day. And it'll stay that way from now until the beta is released - then it'll just be four months.

Sheesh, I'd forgotten all about this particular obsession - it was  haunting me like that inane song from Disneyland ... oh yea, "It's a small world after all, it's a small... " and now you've awakened the beast, thanks a bunch.

Perpetual Newbie II
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

This kind of messages will appear on this forum every ones in a while. And they keep appearing because FogCreek is bad at communicating with it's customers about the future of CityDesk.

I had a quick response when i mailed FC about the numbers of messages displayed on this forum. Not that is has changed by now ;-)

How can FC expect from it's current users to promote CD if nothing SEEMS to happen. I've said it before. FC is terrible at communicating to the outside world and specially to the current users of CD.

Once in a while there seems to be happening something, like for instance the german translation of CD. At the end of 2003 it was almost ready, Joel said, but where is it now?

The same goes for CD3. There has been said a lot about it on this forum, and there where some great discussions about it. But the discussions where done by the users and not with the developers of CD.

I don't expect a decent answer from FC about this topic (again). With decent i mean, something to show for, for instance a list with features that WILL be in the next release. One screenshot of the new UI to be. A somewhat clearer date for the next release.

I've seen and used a lot of software. I've communicated a lot with developers on there fora about there software. I've never seen so little communication as with FC.

I'm on the CMS Encore Pro beta testing team, and when i see how well the communication goes, either by email or by forum, i wonder why that isn't possible with FC?

PeterM
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Maybe they're simply busy working on CityDesk?

NotATroll
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Actually FC isn't the only company that does this, Borland is the same and I'm sure many others are too ~ we just may/may not deal with them.

It'll be here when it gets here.

Perpetual Newbie II
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Borland is a failed company being kept alive by Microsoft who needs a competitor to avoid being seen as a monopoly.

My own belief is that successful companies must communicate well with their customers in order to survive.

David Burch
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home