Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Contributors Working from Home?

Hi all,

I don't suppose there is a way to let a contributor work from home using CityDesk, if the citydesk database is just a file sitting in my desktop's hard disk?

I'm evaluating CityDesk now and this might be the only thing that holds me back. Otherwise I really like it. I suppose I may have different needs since telework is important for my contributors.

Lindy
Monday, July 12, 2004

Here is some info:

http://www.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/kb/howto/MultipleUsersOverInternet.html

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=9828&ixReplies=3

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=7894&ixReplies=9

tk
Monday, July 12, 2004

I have one client who occasionally emails me their CD file and I update the site for them, and then email the file back.

It works for us, but it is a hassle making sure you have the latest, correct version of the web site. But obviously only one of you can actually make upates at any one time.

Dan
Monday, July 12, 2004

How does Joel manage the people who translate joelonsoftware.com for him? Do they all have VPN access to his machine?

Lindy
Monday, July 12, 2004

Nevermind, I just read the translation signup page and found out it done via email.

I guess I'm stuck with VPN. The big problem being how to get non-local, non-techie contributors outfitted with VPN.

Lindy
Monday, July 12, 2004

It's a lot of work for the person in charge whichever way you do it. Set up VPN or whatever, train users remotely,  correct what they post, and if they haven't posted for a while, retrain them. Some folks who could be valuable contributors just won't get it.

It's worth considering allowing folks to contribute their content (however they can) to an editor / publisher / webmaster. Over the short term you can start publishing immediately. Over the long term, you'll have a more consistent product with more content and maybe save time overall.

You never know when someone is going to create his document in Word with yellow, 26 point, gothic type, paste it into a CityDesk article, then insert a few 5mb photos.

I think most of this is true (except the VPN part) for whatever content management system you choose.

tk
Monday, July 12, 2004

For a contributor to install VPN really isn't difficult (says he, from the technical background).

To connect to a VPN site (using Windows XP or 2000), it's a case of create new dial-up connection

Then select "Virtual Private Network"

In the telephone or IP Address you enter the IP address of the VPN you've set up (e.g. 10.0.0.100). That's it (and you need a username and password).

The harder part is at your end getting the VPN set up, but that only needs doing once.

Dan
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

TK wrote: "You never know when someone is going to create his document in Word with yellow, 26 point, gothic type, paste it into a CityDesk article, then insert a few 5mb photos."

Oh I don't know - John (not on these forums) is doing this to me all the time.

Dan
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

If the contributor is just supplying you with articles and a few images to go with them, it's much easier to have them email it all to you and look after the CityDesk side of things yourself.

Darren Collins
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home