Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Practical limitations of CityDesk?

Hi all,

Today, I added the 3000th article to my website (Number of items: 3497)..., I was just wondering, are there any practical limitations to using CityDesk with regard to large websites?
Is anyone using CD for a larger site? Any issues at all?

Rogn
----
http://www.life4all.net

Rognvaldr
Monday, June 21, 2004

One limitation that comes to mind is the 2GB limit for Access databases, if you can call that a limitation for a web site.

Also the time it will take to publish, how are you doing in that respect?

Ron Lane
Monday, June 21, 2004

Publish all, to a Samba share on my server takes 32 minutes to complete.

Rogn.

Rognvaldr
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

2Gb database limit..., I guess I should start worrying when I get to 60,000 articles <g>

Rogn

Rognvaldr
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

At one time I had about 4,500 items on my website, with no problems whatsoever. I have since reduced it considerably, just to try and keep it more manageable.

As it is a news-based website, it can change up to 10 times a day.

In over two years, I estimate I have uploaded my site almost 5,000 times.

It still runs as smoothly as when I first started, although a couple of times I have been glad I adopted a strict back-up procedure.

http://www.westlothiannews.co.uk/

Eddie Anderson
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Thanks. By the way, I noticed that some of the links on the main page of your site still contain the magic names; apparently they were not converted into the proper links/file names....

Rogn

Rognvaldr
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

For one, I'd say there's probably not too many Home improvement shops (scroll down) that advertize on your site <g>

Rogn

Rognvaldr
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Thanks.

I think some of the magic names are a by-product of the early, pioneering days of CityDesk.

I only accept a limited number of adverts on the website.

As far as I know, it is the only completely independent, local news-based website in this country.

I was Editor of the local paper here for a number of years, but left to set up the website. I target younger readers through my beauty competition and nightclub advertising, but I think it is the way ahead. My readership has grown steadily over the past two years and I am now at a stage where I am becoming an attractive proposition to potential advertisers.

I would recommend CityDesk to anyone and have already done so on numerous occasions. I knew nothing about HTML, websites or CityDesk just over two years ago. It was an easy learning curve and has allowed me to earn a reasonable income purely from my website. I have no other source of income.

http://www.westlothiannews.co.uk/

Eddie Anderson
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

One of my big problems is all the articles and files that are no longer used but are still in CityDesk.

For example, articles that have expired (they have a Do Not Publish After date set), or images etc that are referred to by expired articles or not referred to at all.

How do others clear those out? Any handy tools?

David.

David Watts
Thursday, June 24, 2004

Apart from publish time and how long it takes to find an image in the image box, there are a bunch of little manageabilty things that would help a lot.

For example a search for expired articles that produces results that you could mass delete or at least select more than one article to delete. Or find all the articles about dogs and allow me to add "dog" to the keywords of all those articles.

There are big limitations for folks who want to display picture albums. I don't quite know how I'd want the Fog folks to fix that but I hope they'll do something.

I hope they'll make a few small changes like these that will have a big impact on managing a site. I think they will.

tk
Thursday, June 24, 2004

ahhh yes, the image box...  as I'm approaching 3500 articles (3925 items) on my site, I find that if I need to add an image to an article, I push the 'insert picture'-button, click on the drop down box... wait for at least ten seconds... I see a short flash.. and then nothing. The dialog is completely unresponsive to anything but the cancel button. When I then use the insert picture dialog for a second time, it does work.

Oh, by the way, after I've used the image dialog, my enter and escape keys no longer work (only in  CD) until I restart CityDesk.

Anyone else seen this behavior?

Rogn

Rognvaldr
Friday, June 25, 2004

The Enter and Ctrl-Enter sometimes break after I've done things with images. It's been reported before. They quit working even in the problem report box. It's rare and unpredictable for me and has been mentioned before. I shut down CityDesk and restart it to get it working again.

tk
Friday, June 25, 2004

My biggest site is 50 megs, 2000 files but only about 600 articles and not very many scripts.

tk
Friday, June 25, 2004

I just wanted to inform that the image dialog has started to work flawlessly again for me.

I assumed the eratic behavior I observed earlier was directly related to the number of articles or the size of the database, but, since my website now has close to 4000 articles (4239 items) and the size of the database has grown to 110 MB that assumption was apparently wrong.

Rognvaldr

Rognvaldr
Sunday, July 11, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home