Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

New CD site online

This morning (CET) I finished the sixth language of my site, English. This means that the entire site is now ready and online. If you visited the site earlier, I made some cosmetic changes on the way. Ofcourse, being able to read the website in English helps too ;-)

http://www.life4all.net

.cty info:
Size : 86.740 KB
number of items: 3066

Rognvaldr
Friday, June 18, 2004

Some people are telling me they can't get into the English part. This seems to be a cache problem. Emptying your browser cache seems to work (or so I'm told).

RonaldV.

Rognvaldr
Friday, June 18, 2004

I just found out there is another problem... Apparently Mozilla style browsers don't like it when you use

<a href="..."><td>linktext
some more link text plus an image
</td>
</a>

The onmouseover works ok, but that's it, at least when I test it in FireFox.

Sigh. Browsers.

Rognvaldr
Friday, June 18, 2004

Fixed it.

Rogn

Rognvaldr
Friday, June 18, 2004

having a <td> tag inside and <a> tag is not a browser problem -- its tag soup -- illegal html.  That's because an <a> tag can only contain inline tags.  However, its easy to fix with the <a> tag contained within the <td> tag.  The <td tag is a table cell, which can contain anything.

The fact that this didn't work in the browser  you tested is because that browser is complying to the standards.

joel goldstick
Sunday, June 20, 2004

I was using inline tags. I used CSS to change the block-level elements into inline tags.
Saying: 'browser x doesn't display it correctly because it conforms to standards' just doesn't sound convincing to me.
In this instance the fact was that browser x had a problem interpreting my style sheet, which follows standards.

Rogn

Rognvaldr
Sunday, June 20, 2004

I'm not sure i was clear, and i'm not sure I understand your response, but ...

You can't put a td element inside an <a> element.  Since <td> is part of a table, I don't think it can ever be 'cast' as an inline element.

best of luck

joel goldstick
Monday, June 21, 2004

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#edef-A

joel goldstick
Monday, June 21, 2004

Thanks for taking the effort. I read through the page, but, unless I missed it, it did not say you cannot use table cells within an <a> element.
It doesn't really matter who's right, though. It's a moot point. It didn't work... and trying to prove I am right won't change a thing.

Rogn

Rognvaldr
Monday, June 21, 2004

<!ELEMENT A - - (%inline;)* -(A)      -- anchor -->

<!ENTITY % inline "#PCDATA | %fontstyle; | %phrase; | %special; | %formctrl;">

This stuff isn't so easy to digest.  What it says, is that an A element can contain inline elements.  Inline elements are defined as either pcdata (text), fontstyle elements, or the others mentioned.

One important aspect of trying to stick to the standards is to ensure that your site will work today and next year when a newer group of browsers are all the rage.

You make a good point that getting the site to work and look right is the ultimate test!

Please pardon my terse response.  My purpose was just to point out where answers to some of these very obscure problems can be found

Joel Goldstick
Monday, June 21, 2004

Thanks Joel. I did not perceive your response to be terse at all.
One can be easily tempted to use non-standard html for the sake of esthetics. This however, almost always comes at a cost: browser incompatibilities (as I like to call it, but you corrected me and eloquently labeled it: (non)conformance to standards, which seemed to have been the real issue here)

In short: I stand corrected.

Rogn

Rognvaldr
Monday, June 21, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home