Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CD: ssslllooowwwww!

Hi all,

Any (sane) tips on how to improve CD's speed? (Please, other than defragment harddisk)

Previewing a site (from preview button to actual preview takes just over 10 (ten!) minutes on my dual 900mhz cpu, 1Gb Ram.

I still need to add over 1200 pages...

Should I lighten up on the cityscript?, shorten foldernames?, something else?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Rogn

Rognvaldr
Friday, June 11, 2004

Do you have variables which have CityScript in them? or variables with variables in them?

Those sorts of things can slow down the processing a bunch.

Also, what about big files in the database?

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Friday, June 11, 2004

Thanks,

I did have cityscript within variables. Changed that now. Biggest file is 179KB... nothing extreme I'd say...

I didn't compact yet... would that help?

Rogn

Rognvaldr
Friday, June 11, 2004

Definitely compact, especially if you do a lot of deleting or reorganizing.

I have a site with around 500 articles (1100 items and a 15MB .cty file) and I am seeing similar slow performance as you report.

My experience is that the more you add, the slower CD gets.  I work around it by just previewing/publishing each page as I add it.  I also preview/publish any affected index pages individually.  This cuts down on my wait.

David Burch
Friday, June 11, 2004

I do a blog-like performance schedule and had a few scripts, well more the a few, that operated on the every article. So for example, the script that generated the archive for May, 2002 did a date selection script on all the articles. Every month I added a similar script. I had a messy script build-up.

So, over time I've removed many, many scripts with huge decreases in publish time.

tk
Friday, June 11, 2004

Thanks,

Not using cityscript in variables and compacting the site shaved off nine megabyte; three minutes off waiting for preview. (Btw., I'm using two fast ide harddisks in a raid 0 workstation configuration)

from fogcreek/citydesk:
"As an IT Manager in charge of a 10,000 page Intranet... blahblahblah"
Yeah right. Oh wait, he doesn't actually say he is using citydesk to handle a 10,000 page intranet.

Don't get me wrong, I don't wanna sound all negative and sarcastic, I love citydesk. It is just apparent to me that CD can do with a turbo charger under the hood.

Take for instance the 'insert image'-dialog. Clicking on the top drop down box takes a full 10 seconds before it actually drops down! Having to wait that long makes that certain tasks become prohibitive.

Rogn

Rognvaldr
Saturday, June 12, 2004

I put new pictures at the top of a folder at the top of the main window so I don't have to scroll the picture list. That helps some.

This might be very slight time saver: To add a picture, paste in any image. Copy the magic name of the image you want to use, switch to HTML mode and paste the magic name over the magic name you orginally pasted in, edit the properties if you need to. Well, that might save you a second or two.

Magic name pasting can be a very big timesaver with articles. If you are adding a link to an article, copy the magic name of the "linked to" article and  past it into the "to external URL" box in the link window. If we could to images the same way, it would be great.

A faster PC is a very big help.

I hope FogCreek is working hard on this.

tk
Saturday, June 12, 2004

>A faster PC is a very big help

hahaha that'll be the day... 'I need a faster pc because I'm building a website'

Rogn

Rognvaldr
Saturday, June 12, 2004

Maybe your PC will explode as mine did in March. I went from a .633 to a 2.8 processor. (Maybe you are there already.) The impact on CityDesk's performance was breathtaking and that made my life much more pleasant and a bit more profitable.

A 2700+ page site isn't trivial. But a 10 minute preview/publish is a good thing if you are billing by the hour, not so good if you are billing by the job or doing it for free.

tk
Saturday, June 12, 2004

I do not get paid for doing this website, though subscribers to my newsletter did cough up enough dough for a shiny new server when my old one died, last December.

I've built the site from scratch. Started 9 years ago, learning html etc. as I went.

So, no funding, plus I'm 'in between jobs', as they say.
Anyone need a UNIX administrator?

Rogn

Rognvaldr
Saturday, June 12, 2004

I got to the point where I had CD crashing on me whatever I tried to do with it and it's slowness and unresponsiveness had become almost unbearable... I rebooted my pc... and voilà! that did the trick.
CD is actually responsive again.
Must be some memory leak or something.

Rogn.

Rognvaldr
Friday, June 18, 2004

As I found out, lots of spaces  in your articles (in my case, imported from an Access DB where they used to act as tab-replacements) are a real performance killer in CD.

Ahh, never mind that test page I used to have for easy reference - concatenating all articles (1500+) into a single page - talking about hour-long publishing times ;-)

Vic
Sunday, June 20, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home