Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Can this become a template?

As a total newbie to CMS, I like CD's ability to update all pages when published, so changes to a template get propegate.

I work with a youth group that has a defined site structure, using a lot of css files to do things. I want to see if I can use CD to manage the site.

http://www.daveburniston.com/211/intro_e.htm

I want to make everything except the area with the 211 crest and the text as a template.

Can CD be used to manage the site pages with linked to on the left hand side and upper menus?

If you need to see the whole site structure, let me know.

Thanks,

...Dave

Dave Burniston
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Dave Burniston :re become a template

I do not see any reason why not.

David Mozer
Thursday, June 10, 2004

It should work fine.

I don't understand all the scripting stuff you do. In some cases, I don't know about yours, viewing the template in "normal view" can mess up some coding. The solution is to view your templates only in HTML view or an external editor.

As I said, yours may be just fine. Try it. If your template messes up in normal view, stick to the HTML view.

Best wishes on the site.

tk
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Thanks,

It must be something I'm doing wrong then in getting it to work as a template, or the preview isn't working (I'll test that).

Unfortunately, the site design was done by the military IT group and we have to use what they provide. I'm looking for a way to simplify updating and hoping CD can provide this.

...Dave

Dave Burniston
Friday, June 11, 2004

Dave, I just tried it myself (without importing all the style sheets) and it worked fine.

1. I createded a new site and did an "Insert - "Import web page..." with your example page.

2. I copied the HTMLL of the entire imported page.

3. I created a new template and pasted the HTML from the imported webpage.

4. I put {$.body$} in place of the crest jpg.

That's it but I didn't deal with the .css files. I don't think they would cause a problem though.

tk
Friday, June 11, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home