Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CityDesk VS CMS Encore Pro?

I plan to purchase a CMS solution in the next few days. I need to maintain a large number of static HTML sites on separate domains and hosts, so a desktop app is an attractive option.

Why would I choose CityDesk in preference to Encore Pro, or visa versa?

Adam
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

1. How much time and effort do you want to invest in the Learning curve?

2. Do you have a good understanding of the meaning behind content management?

3. Are you looking to others to do your homework for you?

--------------------------

1. CityDisk's learning curve is minimal .. consequently productivity is quickly realized] this does depend on each individuals ability to comprehend [grasp] concepts, technology, documentation and interface. Encore IMO learning curve is significant [an understatement] and also is highly dependent on a very different paradigm (discipline).. consequently much more powerful but productivity is hampered until that power can be harnessed.

2. Content management means different things to different people and IMO its very important to have a good grasp of what you actually expect from a CMS system. Encore ability to exploit various back ends [like MySQl, MS-SQL, Oracle, etc] provides endless possibilities only left to your imagination  CityDesk is currently tied to Access so extensibility has its limits – for *static* sites that is perfectly acceptable and works just great.

3. I suggest that you invest the time and effort to do your homework properly otherwise you will be short changed.

My finale comment – I do not believe [currently] that other than on a very superficial level one can compare CityDesk to Encore --- IMO they are a worlds apart --- approaching CMS from very very different angles. Experienced programmers [code nerds] may or will fall in love with Encore. Since I am on the Encore Beta team I am not able to provide further information. I also am 3 to 4 months away from making any decision regarding how [*or if*] Encore fits into my business plans.

David Mozer
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Both products have a try-before-you-buy version.
Both products have a NG where you can ask questions to get over stumbling blocks you run into. You'll get good answers to your questions in either.
Both products have different approaches to CM, you need to decide which method you want to work with and which serves your needs/requirements.
Try them both.

Perpetual Newbie II
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Another point in the evaluation process you may want to keep in mind: Consider the current status of both products and where (best guess from existing information) they're likely to be heading and if that has any impact (at all) on which product meets your needs.
HTH-GL
PNII

Perpetual Newbie II
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home