Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

What I would like to see

My first request. I create my pages with namo web editor. True wysiwyg stuff. Nice.

Then I paste the page into CD and let CD publish it. What would be cool is if in CD I could push a button and have CD change all my image names to their magic name counterparts.

Of course the image would have to have been previously imported into CD.

This would save quite a bit of time.

John Cesta

john Cesta
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

I respectfully disagree. CD should be enhanced to such a degree that you shouldn't want to use an external editor.

Rogn

Rognvaldr
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Well, of course. But it isn't. :)))))

john Cesta
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

CD shouldn't worry about an editor on par with others. Instead, CD should enhance the CityScript language, dynamic html creation with external db's, being able to specify > 1 external program prior to/after ftp'g, letting us use template, CityScript, and variable libraries instead of recreating 'em all in each cty file, etc.

How 'bout associating a third party editor for articles, as is already possible with templates

Bob Bloom
Tuesday, June 08, 2004

It isn't? Is CD not going to be enhanced (what do you know that the rest of us don't?) or are you going to keep using your external editor 'no matter what' becuz 'you just know' ain't nothin' gonna match that heavenly piece of software called namo?

Rogn

Rognvaldr
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

John - I would find your feature useful too. Do you find yourself just knowing that 000044 is the "Contact Us" page through repeated exposure?

Dan
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

I'd just rather see the core functions of CD enhanced -- the scripting, variables and templates. Rather than CD adding editor features like tables and css handling...

I shouldn't post late, what a bad previous entry ;-(

-Bob

Bob Bloom
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Rogn

My "It isn't" comment was referring to current CD. My request is simple enough to provide while the FC folks are attempting to retrofit a new editor.

Yes, I will continue to use my external editor while the existing editor works the way it does.

To me CD is still a powerful too and I save a lot of time by using it.

John

john Cesta
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

john Cesta :re Namo web editor

I've been playing with the trial version of Namo web editor v6 .. and all I can say is ... its a remarkable tool. The help documentation is easy to understand [yet detailed] and you actually do get true WYSIWYG ... I was surprised at the flexibility and sheer power.

The fact that you could construct  [layout] pages using either of 3 methods [tables, frames, layers] with relative ease is not only outstanding but mind boggling to me. I spent less than 30 minutes studying the help documentation and subsequently found the UI  intuitive.

Thank you for bringing this excellent tool to our [my] attention.

David Mozer
Thursday, June 10, 2004

David,

I picked the Namo web editor to use in a class I teach at my kid's school.

I teach computers to 1 2 3 4 and 5 graders. I also teach an aftercare program. In the aftercare program I show them how to build a web site. I use Namo as the tool.

It's kinda like FP but without the extensions. I could have used FP since FP is installed on all their computers but I have a Web server I ftp their Web sites to and I don't support FP extensions. So, I searched for a new editor - Namo.

Glad you like it.

John

john Cesta
Sunday, June 13, 2004

Yes, Bob has it right. Simply provide the ability to associate an article with the editor of your choice. Easy. Everyone's happy and free to use their pet editor, and Joel is freed to work on features and enhancements providing *much* more bang for the buck. Like beefing up Cityscript, speeding things up, and generating standards compliant code.

Scott McDonald
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home