Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Publish to a web/database

Like others, I've got concerns about the fact that this is only on the desktop, but rather than a full-blown client-server version, I'd like to be able to publish to database or SQL files so that I can then merge them together with a PHP template or some other database driven solution (if I can figure that out using a template, then I'll actually publish it that way to a local directory, which I'm going to put under CVS after doing it).

I like the basic concept, and if it is flexible enough to support the advanced needs that I have and still remain easy enough to do without introducing insanely difficult installs &c., it's definitely going to be on my consideration for "must have." I've been looking for a good CMS for a while.

-austin

Austin Ziegler
Monday, October 15, 2001

You could publish to XML if you wanted a particular XML format, then use one of the many geeky XML transforming tools out there.

Our goal was to make a tool that could be used by novices or HTML coders, for whom all the XSLT/Xpath/XML type solutions were too difficult.

By the way, if you want to see what the CityDesk database looks like, try opening your .CTY file using MS Access ;) (And if you like SQL Server, getting your data into SQL Server is a simple matter of running the Access Upsizing Wizard.)

Joel Spolsky
Monday, October 15, 2001

oh yeah... to add to your CVS comment ... you can set up a custom "browser" that is really just a batch script that does a CVS commit. Then publish your site, click on the batch script, and voila it's all checked into CVS.

i think... :)

Joel Spolsky
Monday, October 15, 2001

Oh, and I think (for the most part) you're meeting the goal of "easy to use." I'm wanting to have it flexible, too -- which it sounds like it can do via XML (I still prefer PHP over XML, but that's one of those six of one, half-dozen of the other).

When I have a chance, I'll play with the CVS idea you've suggested and report on my success/failure with it.

Finally, while I understand why you would have chosen Jet/Access format ... it to me suffers the same problem of being too MS centric. I'm not against MS products, but I don't have much need for that, as my web site (that I'm trying to get up and running with a CMS because I'm not interested in hand-coding my HTML anymore; this isn't 1995 /-:) is on Linux with PHP and mySQL available...

But that, too, might be something to look at (e.g., writing a VBA script within Access to read/write out the data and reuse the work from there).

Might I suggest, while I'm at it, that you put together a section where these scripts that people might write to add to the functionality be placed? (How pocomail.com has done it, IMO.)

-austin

Austin Ziegler
Monday, October 15, 2001

Seeing as the CTY file is readable in Access (cool!), I see a possibility for some people to create some add-on tools that could dump the site contents to another format as needed.  Are you planning to have a plug-in architecture? Would you be against people releasing such converters (hopefully as freeware)?

Gary Pupurs
Tuesday, October 16, 2001

For the next version, we're going to make it easy to write new 'publish types.' Currently we ship with two publish types, file copy and ftp. We want to do a whole bunch of publish types:

* my aol account (for complete novices)
* use scp to copy files to a unix machine
* use CVS to check files into a source code repository
* use WebDAV (does anybody still support that?)

and so on.

Other than that we're happy to encourage third parties to write extensions.

Joel Spolsky

Joel : "use WebDAV (does anybody still support that?)"

Au contraire. Seems to me like more and more products support this to circumvent firewalls. That's the very reason why Real can send data over HTTP.

FF.

Frederic Faure

In the future, will we be able to 'publish' to multiple publish types/locations with the click-of-a-button?

For example, my site may be mirrored on multiple servers, so I'll have several FTP publish locations configured.  I'd like to be able to tie these locations together (in script of some sort), so when I publish, my site gets uploaded to a bunch of servers.

Or I may want to check in the site into my CVS repository, and then FTP it to a live server all at once...or something more complicated...

...well, you get the idea.

- Babak

Babak
Wednesday, October 17, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home