Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Pages not deleting or changing names

I developed a new site with CD based on  an existing site on the Web with one folder - docs - and then subfolders currently containing html files.

I started using CD to populate the subfolders. Everything works fine. In other words when I create files in CD and ftp them to the existing site's folders they appear. I have a cgi program on the web that organizes the files into folders when the URL is invoked.

But when I change the name of a file in CD and ftp it to the site now I have two files: one the original name and the new name.

Also, if I FTP a file to the site then delete the file in CD in one folder and place it into another folder and FTP again it then appears in both folders. I can see the xml file is reflecting everything ok.

What could be the problem?

Thanks,

John Cesta

john Cesta
Friday, June 04, 2004

I might be wrong, but I don't think CD deletes files off the server.

David Burch
Friday, June 04, 2004

CityDesk will delete files that it put on the server, it will ignore files that it didn't put there ie files that aren't listed in the "old" xml file.

David I'm not clear what you're doing on the server with the cgi program. However if you're copying files about, CityDesk won't know anything about the copies and therefore won't touch them.

Ken McKinney
Friday, June 04, 2004

Oops... I was replying to John not David.

Ken McKinney
Friday, June 04, 2004

CityDesk can't delete or "rename" files on the server unless it does the FTP part.

Are you are creating a file copy, then FTP'ing the file copy yourself?

tk
Friday, June 04, 2004

Let me take out the part about the CGI program. It doesn't do anything to create or delete files it only itemizes files that exist.

CD puts the files there and the cgi program displays them.

http://www.serverautomationtools.com/webcgi/webbatch.exe?techsupt/techsupt.web

I started with the cgi program early on last year and then decided to use CD to create the files and copy them to the web server.

So, the cgi program doesn't do any editing, deleting etc.

When I create the articles CD FTPs them fine. Then I change a name of one of the files. CD FTPs the new file name to the server but does not delete the existing file. Also, if I add a file then delete it CD does not delete the file.

The XML file shows all the files the way they should be.

If I could save the FTP dialog maybe I could see a cause.

I have all the permissions set on the folders to add, delete change etc. using my FTP client I can add, change, delete files.

John

john Cesta
Friday, June 04, 2004

No, tk, I am not doing any FTPing outside of CD. CD is doing all the additions and updates. I have about 4 CD sites. I know CD can do this (add, delete files)

I just don't know why it doesn't do it on this site.

john Cesta
Friday, June 04, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home