Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Right Under My Nose

So there I was, thinking wouldn't it be cool if CityDesk allowed you to copy and paste articles...and it does. D'oh! Funny how you can use something for a long time and miss the obvious.

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Friday, May 28, 2004

Use "Copy" and "Paste" from the "Edit" menu, and it works...

Kai Jäger
Saturday, May 29, 2004

Actually, there is a minor problem with this function (could be a feature, but for me it is a problem): Copied articles retain the Filed Date of the originals.

So if you have a sort by date loop the newly cloned articles will appear next to the originals instead of at the top/bottom.

Naturally, you can "touch" the Filed Date by hand. Still, to me it is a bit of a nuisance.

GeraldH
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

I do this all the time with Ctrl-C, Crtl-V.

You'll laugh at this but I started publishing some correspondence articles in a friend's site.  I thought there might be ten articles or so but now there are more than 200. Plus, I use an odd format for those articles. If I'd known in advance, I would have done it differently, but ...

I now have a huge folder. The newest articles go at the bottom. Scrolling to the bottom to create a new article is terrible. so: I made an unpublished article named "ZZZ Unpublished." It has a template for the article (including a batch of keywords) and because of the file name, it is always last in the folder.

When I'm ready to add a new article, I type "z" which takes me to my ZZZ article at the bottom of the folder. I Ctrl-C, Up-arrow, Ctrl-V. Then I open the article, change the headline, change the filename, remove the "never publish after" checkmark, change the publish date, add the content of the article, and finally remove the keywords I don't need.

I'm sure that sounds awful, but I've learned to do it in a hurry.

tk
Monday, June 07, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home