Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Citydesk for other blogging systems?

It seems like an untapped market to me and although I don't know Citydesk well I'm sure Joel's teams could tackle this

Basically a truely good offline blog editor.  There are standards for connecting to blogs, downloading the list of categories, posts, etc, uploading new images, and posts etc.

All of the offline posting tools, at least for Windows, are pretty poor.

They don't remember anything offline so you can't look at old posts or even categories offline since the list of categories is not stored.

They don't remember which posts go with which blogs.  They post the item currently being edited to the blog which you are currenty logged into instead of the blog that post is associated with.

They don't support importing, editing, and uploading images.  I would guess Citydesk does this.  You drag in an image from your digital camera, crop, level, saturate, resize.  The blog standards support uploading of images but none of the offline blogging editors do :-(

I'm not sure if Joel would consider this eating into his Citydesk complete solution market but another version "Citydesk for Blogs" sounds like a good idea to me.

Gregg Tavares
Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Here's a good review of the current sorry state of offline blog editing for windows

http://www.synaptic.bc.ca/MyMessyWorkbench/archives/2004/01/taking_mt_editors_offline.php

Gregg Tavares
Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Actually there are a few other off-line blogging tools out there. One is EasyBlogs (see easyblogs.com) that keeps the entire blog in a local database and publishes via ftp.

Brad
Wednesday, May 26, 2004

I agree that a modified version of CityDesk would work great for the purpose of offline blog editing, but based on Joel's decision to nix the "home" version, I'm guessing that he wouldn't be interested in taking on the customer support risk involved with catering to home users again anytime soon.  Seems like Fog Creek is aiming for the small-to-medium business market with their product line...

Tim Lara
Wednesday, May 26, 2004

What would have to be modified ? (Please explain in simple terms how CD would interact with a server-based blogging engine, I am really ignorant here...). Thanks :-)

Patrick Thomas
http://www.telepark.de

Patrick Thomas
Wednesday, May 26, 2004

I don't think anything has to be modified. Fog or anyone esle could offer a blogging template with a "Contributor" edition of CityDesk.  Couldn't they? I'm guessing it could be slicker in CD  3.

tk
Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Citydesk current FTPs updates to your web server.  Blogging tools (mostly) run on your webserver.  You log in and are given a form to enter a new entry (think of logging into Hotmail or Yahoo mail).  Instead of pressing "Send Mail" you press "Publish To Blog" and the blogging software makes your entry available on your site.

The advantage over Citydesk is you can do it from anywhere, an internet cafe in Thailand for instance.  The advanage of Citydesk is that Citydesk has a much nicer interface.  Most blogging software, if you want a word in bold or italic you'd have to know HTML.  If you want a image displayed you'd have to manually upload your image and put in the correct HTML to display it.  Citydesk solves these kinds of issues and more for you.

Integrating the 2 seems like a cool idea (maybe not a cool business idea).  You'd get the ability to post from anywhere (even your cellphone) when you didn't have Citydesk in front of you and you'd get all the pluses of Citydesk when you did have it.

Most of the blogging systems support one or more of the standard interfaces for remote posting.  For example the Blogger API (now run by Google) is used in the Google Toolbar to allow you to post something in your blog about the page you are currently reading with 1 click.  That same or similar protocols would allow Citydesk to also add to your blog.

Gregg Tavares
Thursday, May 27, 2004

You need to look at Blog (www.farook.org).

Red
Thursday, July 01, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home