Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

New desktop CMS

Take a look at:
http://www.biitsoft.com/products/cmsencorepro/index.htm

It's not a Citydesk clone, but has a very extensive scriptinglanguage.

PeterM
Saturday, May 22, 2004

Thanks Peter,

It looks more like an implementation of all the CityDesk feature requests from this forum that than a knock-off.

It has
- automatic thumbnail creation
- incremental publish
- search with regular expressions
- a FULL-FEATUREDscripting language with functions that accept parameters
- ability to put variables in attribute values without have them garbled when switching to normal view as CityDesk does.
- multi-user system with configurable user-rights
- publishing to multiple formats
- templates
- LiveEdit looks like an innovative user interface
- Expire content seems to be better than CD
- And more.

Watch the tutorials
http://www.biitsoft.com/tutorials/index.htm

With Fog Creek not respecting the customer's right to be informed, I'm going to hedge my bets and apply for the CMS Encore Pro Beta program--Just in case CityDesk 3.0 is as disappointing as 2.0 was.

Calling it as I see it
Saturday, May 22, 2004

"Special introductory price for a limited time only." of $499US, although probably fair for the features of the product, will keep me where I am.

You'll have to beta every edition to stay on the free-train ... but ... it might just be worth a try.  Race ya :)

Realist
Saturday, May 22, 2004

I also noticed the Lite Edition for $99, I wonder what features are in there?

Another realist
Saturday, May 22, 2004

I've downloaded the trial version (one week). Very impressive.
If I were Fog Creek, I would start communicating with my customers now.

Jorgen Brenting - CityDesk user from the start
Saturday, May 22, 2004

http://www.biitsoft.com/products/cmsencorepro/34.htm

Realist
Saturday, May 22, 2004

I'm accepted as a beta-tester, so i'm gonna look at it very seriously.

PeterM
Saturday, May 22, 2004

Peter, when did you apply ??

I expect they're getting quite a few today :)

Curious
Saturday, May 22, 2004

I applied yesterday evening. Had to give some backgroundinformation and just recieved an email that i was accepted.

PeterM
Saturday, May 22, 2004

Very impressive feature set ... almost sounds too good to be true :-)

David Mozer
Saturday, May 22, 2004

Read the help file (specifically Scripting - Functions) - impressive.

Perpetual Newbie II
Saturday, May 22, 2004

The desktop CMS field is very narrow, some competition will make things better all around, look at the choices we have with WYSIWYG editors form the big names.

Ron Lane
Saturday, May 22, 2004

The differences between "lite" and "standard" are listed in the table at http://www.biitsoft.com/products/cmsencorepro/34.htm

Ben Combee
Sunday, May 23, 2004

its not time to sleep.. im going to take it a look too

bob
Sunday, May 23, 2004

I’ve worked a bit with the trial version. At first the UI seems complicated, but the possibilities are so many. I’m still hoping for Fog Creek to wake up though, but if they don’t send some signal, almost any signal, very soon, I’ll buy the Lite version of Encore and, who knows, there might not be an encore for CityDesk. Mine, among others, business rely strongly on the right tool … haven’t you realised Joel? We are not just enjoying ourselves with your software. If the future of CityDesk begins to look uncertain your customers begins to look for new tools. It’s not enough to tell us that you are spending hours with some inferior alpha channel in some inferior icons. Frankly I don’t care. But can I expect to use CityDesk 3.x a year from now … that matters.

Jorgen Brenting - CityDesk user from the start
Sunday, May 23, 2004

Questions:

1. "Special introductory price for a limited time only?"

2. Cost of content user licenses? Is the cost somewhere on the site?

tk
Sunday, May 23, 2004

tk

1. "Special introductory price for a limited time only?"
Standard marketing buy now the price is going back up (but never does) tactics.

2. Cost of content user licenses? Is the cost somewhere on the site?
There doesn't appear to to individual content user licences just what comes with the 'bundles'.
Lite - 1
Standard - 3
Advanced - 10
Enterprise - 20

Might Just Give It a Whirl
Sunday, May 23, 2004

I downloaded the Trial version and also applied to be a beta tester.

The learning curve seems very steep - based on what I have been able to see so far -- the trial version is for 7 days. It will take me at least 200 hrs to get comfortable – that is quit the investment in time -- so that 7 day period is not going to work for me -- I have other things to do that makes me money. :-)

The scripting is certainly impressive. Very tempting, very!

Having said all of that --- I LIKE my CityDesk!

David Mozer
Sunday, May 23, 2004

Looks interesting, but out of my financial reach.

GeraldH
Monday, May 24, 2004

Wow, just received an email from the authors saying that they have just released a new trial edition with extended trial date and some bug fixes.

Great feedback so far ....

Another realist
Monday, May 24, 2004

GeraldH,
they have a $99 version with 2 licenses: deisgner and contributor.  It uses Access as the database.

David Burch
Monday, May 24, 2004

Might Just Give It a Whirl ,

Take another look.  I think the lite version has two licenses: designer + contributor

David Burch
Monday, May 24, 2004

I just tried to download the eval version and got an access error.  Is it just me or are others having trouble with the download?  Then I tried to use the contact form to tell them about the error and I got the same access error.  The error says my system setup is causing the problem, but--I don't think so!  Never had the problem before I tried to download their software.  Anyhoo, how about it?  Anyone else having trouble? 

In any case, I have 90 days to try out my new CityDesk so I'll keep my eyes open.  Let's see what kind of company Biitsoft is.  There are many, many things to consider when catching a ride on a rising software star not the least of which is short and long-term support.  Features are important but not the end-all and be-all.  Heck, I've got a great little piece of software that creates beautiful photo gallaries for me with auto thumbnails AND all the html pages.  As for scripting, I'm trying to get away from the lower level activities of web site creation even though I have some programming background.

Soooooo, Fogcreek may be the better choice.  TBD.

Louanne Poisson
Tuesday, May 25, 2004

I didn't get an error when i downloaded it. Everything worked fine. What browser do you use? I use IE6, Firebird under Windows and Mozilla under Linux. All of them can access the site fine.

I'm beta testing the programm and the learning curve is steep, sometimes very steep. But if I can get it to work for me it will, i guess, be a big improvement. What i like most is the scripting possibilities.

Citydesk is easier to learn and use but it's possibilities are very limited compared to Encore.

"Calling it as i see it" called it "It looks more like an implementation of all the CityDesk feature requests from this forum that than a knock-off."

PeterM
Tuesday, May 25, 2004

PeterM :re Everything worked fine

I had zero problems as well.  And I also agree that the learning curve is steep. I'm in the beta program as of today and looking forward to the learning curve [I guess I am a brute for punishment – although I do love innovation]. The feature set [including scripting] was too tempting to ignore. :-)

David Mozer
Wednesday, May 26, 2004

What David said <as in ditto>.
PNII

Perpetual Newbie II
Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Looks nice but much more complex. I find it easy to compose pages in namo web editor and paste them into CD and use the scirpting and template power of CD. That's what I like.

john Cesta
Friday, June 04, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home