Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Really useful error message

Want to tell me what this means? And how I'm supposed to diagnose it?

Invalid CityDesk Syntax (\Events\040530 Rose Cottage Garden:1688)
An error occurred while publishing, so the site was not uploaded.

gwyn
Monday, May 17, 2004

It means you made an error with your CityScript in that file.

Maybe you forgot a closing bracket "}".

Maybe you mis-spelled a variable; eg, "headline" as "hedline".

If you're like me, then you screwed up the periods. Is it {.headline}  or  {x.headline}  That's good for 20 minutes staring at the code.

Bob Bloom
Monday, May 17, 2004

Oh yeah, forgot...

Since we're dealing with a scripting language, it would be nice to have a DEBUG feature to make it easier to identify and correct errors.

Excel has this for Visual Basic, methinks  :-)

Bob Bloom
Monday, May 17, 2004

yes, but where the f* is it? And what does the number at the end refer to?

I suspect it's actually a problem in the template but it doesn't say that.

Very poor isn't it.

Gwyn
Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Yes a debugger would be helpful AND/OR a error system that was user friendly.

David Mozer
Tuesday, May 18, 2004

"1688" is the byte in the page where the error is.

tk
Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Which page? If I change the article to use a different template the problem goes away... so an error in the page, the template or a combination?

How am I suppose to count bytes? Does a line break count as carriage return, line feed or both?

Whoever thought this was good enough probably ought to work for Microsoft!!!

And soon I'm going to get started on how the wysiwyg editor screws articles up in an unrecoverable way.

Gwyn
Tuesday, May 18, 2004

The byte number is in the finished (template + article). If it worked after your switched template, I'd guess that the error is in the template rather than the article.

The byte number is a work in progress thing. I think the CityFolks planned to used to use it aid debugging but haven't implemented the whole feature. So, it's not very helpful as it is. They might wish they hadn't provided the byte because it rasied questions.

I'm guessing that when CityScripting becomes more complex, a debugging feature will become much more important.

tk
Tuesday, May 18, 2004

So in other words, if it's nothing glaringly obvious then you're bollocks'd!

The template looks fine, I can view it in Normal and HTML mode and it doesn't complain at this point, Script looks alright. I'm sure there must be an error, just be nice if it was a bit more obvious what it was!

Gwyn
Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Gwyn
Just taking a shot here, who knows maybe it'll help ...

Is it possible that there is something in that particular article that is knackered or causing the CD script to balk? If this is the only article that's having a problem then the article itself is the place to start. Copy everything you need out of the article to some safe place and delete the article. Try publishing now. If all goes well, create a new article and paste your bits & pieces back in.

"If I change the article to use a different template the problem goes away... "
The new template may not be calling for, let's say, one of the extra fields that's causing the glitch. If you want to troubleshoot the problem compare the templates. If the one giving you the problem uses a field that's not used in the one that works - I'd look there in the article.

BTW: I don't see the error message as that mysterious but may be I'm missing something.
There's an Invalid CityDesk Syntax
in the article found at (\Events\040530 Rose Cottage Garden:1688)
OK the byte location is a bit odd (thanks for that tk) but the rest of it gives you enough to start.

Hey, just some random thoughts. Hope one of them helps.
PNII

Perpetual Newbie II
Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Another possibility is CD Script in a Variable and this article is the only one using that Variable or the Variable is in a field that the template script is using ... nesting the two scripts in a manner that CD doesn't agree with. Yea, a long shot but ...
PNII

Perpetual Newbie II
Tuesday, May 18, 2004

I feel for ya baby! I've gone through this sort of thing soooo many times.

Good point about variables.

Print out your template, variables used, and the article. HTML view. Use large type :-)

Go to somewhere quiet, and make sure your eye doesn't gloss over the "obvious stuff", 'cause that's where you're error probably is.

One little thing wrong with CityScript and the whole page is rendered un-evaluate-able by the CityDesk.

Refer to CityScript reference help if you have to.

Keep at it, it's there.

Bob Bloom
Tuesday, May 18, 2004

I beg your pardon...I never promised you a Rose Cottage Garden...

:)

Crooner
Friday, May 21, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home