Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

File Won't Work - Jet Database Issue? Read-Only...

Just got off the phone with a client. They can't open the CityDesk files I sent [and the file they modified doesn't work either]. It gives them a message saying they are attempting to open something which is being shared. And then it refers to a Jet database issue...

I had them reinstall CityDesk and attempt to open the file [which works on my computer].  It gives them a message that the CityDesk file is "Read-Only".

Any advice? Should they reinstall the Jet database? Or is it something as simple as sending the files in a zip archive.

I'm running XP Professional...I believe they are running Windows 2000...

Thanks in advance,
Eric Saul

Eric Saul
Monday, May 17, 2004

I'm sure this isn't it but I was embarassed when I sent a client a .cty file on a CD. They spent a long time trying to open it getting a similar error message. They finally called and copied to their hard drive.

tk
Monday, May 17, 2004

Right click properties on the file... is the read only attribute checked?

Send the file in zip archive would probably be a good idea...

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Monday, May 17, 2004

I did about five things...and something worked - zipped the file, compacted the site, reinstalled CityDesk and a couple of other things.

I think they are still a little freaked out that they are actually making changes to their own website. They keep thinking a shoe is going to drop [and then the other one]. But everything is fine CityDesk-land!

Thanks,
Eric

Eric Saul
Monday, May 17, 2004

We get this problem all the time when customers copy files from a CD onto their machine.  Files on a CD are automatically marked read-only and the flag needs to be manually turned off before you can modify the files, even after they are copied onto their hard drive

Eric
Monday, May 17, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home