Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

corrupted cd file??

I've been using CD to publish my baby pictures and it's been working like a charm.  Just the other day I found that the images I've saved in the file are not accessible.  Each image, when opened in the built-in editor claims to be only 96x96 pixels, and the screen appears blank unless I click-n-drag a portion of the image.  When I do that, it appears, but is darkened as if outside a cropped region.

I've gone back to all backup copies and it shows the same behavior, even though I've added pictures since some of the older backups were made without seeing this behavior.

I'm using CD 2.0.19 on Windows XP Pro.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?  I haven't tried publishing since this has happened...I'm afraid it will mess up the online files.

Eric
Saturday, May 15, 2004

It could be your file or it could be something about your computer itself. Try creating a new CityDesk site and drag in a picture. Does that work?

If so, the file could be corrupted. Try the "File | Compact" command. That also can be used to repair corruption in the file.

If the new CityDesk site doesn't work either, try reinstalling CityDesk or try the site on a different computer.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software
Sunday, May 16, 2004

Joel, Thanks for the ideas.  I created a new CD file and had the same problem.  I uninstalled and reinstalled CD and continued to see the problem.  I then remembered that I had installed several shareware photo editors a few weeks ago and uninstalled the lot of them.  This fixed the problem!  (One of the uninstall programs gave me the option to "rollback" so I did).  The only other side effect was that my Microsoft Photo Editor didn't work, but the MS Office CD took care of that problem.  Could have been a mistakenly replaced .dll?

Anyways, thanks for the help!

Eric
Monday, May 17, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home