Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Initial Thoughts

I am keeping a running log of issues/comments about CityDesk. Here is the first batch:

1) When adding an image, it asks whether you want it to be a hyperlink, but does not allow you to link it to an external URL. To do that, you have to add the image, then use the hyperlink tool.
2) Easier handling of CSS classes would be nice...I'm using HTML view for now.
3) I would like to be able to specify the naming pattern for the compiled article files (vs. FOG000005.html, etc...).
4) "Replace" dialog box has "Find" in the caption.

Overall, I am very impressed with the CityDesk product. It lacks some features that larger, more bloated products have. If I understand correctly, however, you weren't gunning for enterprise operations. Everything from Individual homepages to medium sized business sites seems to be the target here. For that market, you're dead on. More to come...

Jonathan Goodyear (aka angryCoder)
Monday, October 15, 2001

Thanks very much! all good ideas.

On the CSS point -- we imagined that sophisticated web page designers would tend to use their favorite power-HTML tool (like Dreamweaver) to edit templates... you can set CityDesk up to make this easy. Once the templates were set up, the built in word processor would be fine for 99% of your day-to-day adding and editing articles.

You're right, we're "desktop content management," in the same vein as "desktop publishing" tools are not what Time Magazine would use :)

Joel Spolsky
Monday, October 15, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home