Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Server Files deleted when publishing

I use CD to publish two separate  CD sites to the same location.  One is an article database and the other is a product catalog.  I could combine them into one site but the article database is getting very slow to publish because of all the indexing I do.  By keeping the product catalog separate it is small and fast to publish.

I'm trying to put current article content on my home page along with the product catalog.  As long as one of the sites is published completely in a separate directory everything is okay.  If I publish both to the same folder CD will delete any html files that aren't part of the current site being published.

Is there any way to prevent it from doing that?

Dennis Harwood
Saturday, May 01, 2004

Hello,

There is some info about deleted files at http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=10566&ixReplies=4

Regarding your situation, I can understand that "strange" things might happen:

CityDesk uploads a file called citydesk.xml to the root of each site.  This file is used to keep track of what changed since the previous publishing operation.

The problem: when publishing two sites to the exactly the same directory, each CityDesk site will overwrite the other's site citydesk.xml  when publishing, which could confuse the program.

Suggested workaround to keep using two CityDesk sites:
1) Keep the "Home Page with content" CityDesk file that publishes to eg www.mysite.com
Make sure there is no products subdirectory in this CityDesk file.

2) Change the product CityDesk file to publish to a subdirectory, eg www.mysite.com/products

This will keep the citydesk.xml files in two different directories.

Warning: this may require changes regarding links between from site1 to site2. You should backup your sites before trying this.

Hope this helps,

Bernard

Bernard Vander Beken
Sunday, May 02, 2004

Thanks for the comments Bernard.  I've already found out I can publish whatever I want to subdirectories without problem.  But once I publish to the root directory all subdirectories are fair game for City Desk and it deletes all html files in them. 

As you noted the only workaround is to keep everything in subdirectories.  But that means I can't publish a home page that has automatic links to any of the stuff published in the subdirectories.

Dennis Harwood
Sunday, May 02, 2004

I have run into that problem as well.

john cesta
Monday, May 03, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home