Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

{$.template$}

There's no such thing as {$.template$}  (and no such thing as {$.audience$}.

There are variables (I mean "CityScript Placeholders") for
headline, author, body, filedDate, filedTime, modifiedDate, modifiedTime, keywords, teaser, sidebar, about, extra1, extra2, link, absLink, fileName.

Is there a way to get {$.template$}.

I need to know what template is required to construct my dynamically created html pages using HTML_DbScript v1.5.

-Bob

Bob Bloom
Saturday, May 01, 2004

Oh, terrific!

I need to know what template FAMILY is in use as well as what template.

So I need {$.template$} and {$.templatefamily$}.

Anyone know a workaround to get an article's template and templatefamily.

The HTML_DbSCRIPT I'm aiming for is:

{* foreach x in "html_dbscript_DNS:SELECT template_html FROM template_table WHERE template='{$.template$}' and template_family='{$.templatefamily$}'" *}
{*x.template_html*}
{* next *}

Bob Bloom
Saturday, May 01, 2004

Is there a way for CityScript (and I know the answer is no, but might as well ask) to interrogate its tables within the cty file.

This is what CityScript reserved variables ("placeholders") do. Eg, {$.headline$} SELECTS the sHeadline field FROM the tblArticle table at the current active record.

I want to know the ixTemplateStructure value at the current active record in the same tblArticle table.

And somehow, I also want to know the template family too!

Maybe I can use HTML DbScript (v1.0 or v1.5) to interrogate the Access tables within the cty file via ODBC!

The problem is HTML DbScript's MAKEPAGE function (that creates html pages from Access records) in v1.5 doesn't account for templates. So I have to manually construct the templates with the MAKEPAGE...NEXT statements.

Joel could probably program this functionality in an hour or so, and release CD 2.0.20. And have the elegance this functionality deserves. Put up a paypal jar for the release effort!

-Bob

Bob Bloom
Sunday, May 02, 2004

Just in case anyone is curioius...

I created a single template just for html pages created with HTML DbSCRIPT v1.5's MAKEPAGE function.

It's not pretty, but it works for now.

An example: http://www.beitrayim.org/events_services/index.html

Each individual event page is created with MAKEPAGE, with html & "extra" fields from my own Access mdb.

-Bob

Bob
Saturday, May 08, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home