Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

importing existing html files

I store some more or less random html, doc, xls fils on my web site space.  I thought I'd try citydesk to organize it a bit.  So anyway I start 'er up and import the files but when I open them in citydesk there are no 'article, properties, extras' tabs just a window with the html.  I do a preview nothing displays on the home page.  What am I missing?  Thx

Steve Roberts
Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Importing a file doesn't change it into a CityDesk article. The downside is that it makes converting an existing site into a CityDesk site with templates, articles and scripts a bit of a hassle.

The process (often aided by CopyBoy http://www.larkware.com/Products/LarkwareCopyBoy20.html ) is to import a page, turn it into a template, then brute force your content into CityDesk articles, and do some scripts.

My experience is that it has been well worth it for most of my sites.

tk
Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Hmmm.  Probably not worth the effort.  My random files are things like html-ized excel spreadsheets and word documents to convey information to my property managers in far away places.  I update these regularily. Seems to me that it should be an easy thing to import them and have the ability to display them as is an article.  Oh well... Next.

Steve Roberts
Thursday, April 29, 2004

If you are generating the files externally, you could leave them as it is and just add a link to it from you other articles. After all, that is the whole point of the "world wide web". :-)

Satyadeep Musuvathy
Tuesday, May 04, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home