Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CD v3 release date: mystery solved!

I just solved the v3 mystery release date. Found the answer at http://discuss.fogcreek.com/newyork/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=1514&ixReplies=8 :

"The MS-Office development teams at Microsoft have been basically hitting their schedule dates for over a decade. It's just a matter of being willing to cut features to make the date and being realistic about how long it takes to tie up a product after code-complete.

I've had many people tell me that they have hit schedules on the nose by using the "painless software scheduling" system I've described, even on 2 year development projects with dozens of developers.

At Fog Creek to be honest we solved the problem another way: we never pre-announce dates and we have no external requirements to meet any particular date. We don't promise certain things by certain times to certain customers; we don't care about rushing to meet a "competitive window" because we're in this for the long haul; and we don't have big marketing and PR campaigns which need to be scheduled long in advance. So we have had the luxury of never needing the answer to the question "when will this be done," something which most other development teams need.

As we grow, we'll lose that luxury. (Anyway, we should have more of a discipline about this than we do because decisions about ROI can only be made correctly with accurate information about what the cost of various things is really going to be.) "

Bob Bloom
Saturday, April 24, 2004

Hi Bob

Crap. In a way, not knowing if and when you'll get to use what unknown new feature(s) is a PITA. The "Tell them SFA" policy may keep FC from slipping a ship date or missing a promised feature but as a customer - not knowing or even having the vaguest notion ... just plain sucks.

My conspiracy theory is that they do it to keep you from waiting for the release to buy :)

I'll ship when FC ships - that ought to teach 'em.

PNII

Perpetual Newbie II
Sunday, April 25, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home