Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Deletion question

What is the "correct" behavior of CityDesk relative to file deletions in this scenario:

1. I delete an article from the CityDesk file.

2. I publish to the server, and the article is removed from the server

3. I put the file back there by other means (such as FTP)

4. I compact and close the CityDesk file.

5. I reopen the file, restarting CityDesk and publish again to the server... SHOULD CITYDESK delete the file again? Should it ignore it?

Many thanks. I hunted all around the forum but didn't see it clarified what I can expect CityDesk to actually do in this scenario.

d

Diane Bryan
Friday, April 23, 2004

CD doesn't touch files not in the database (unless they happen to be the same name and location as a file being published), so in that scenario it leaves the file alone.

Ron Lane
Saturday, April 24, 2004

It should ignore the file.  Each time you publish, CityDesk creates a file which lists all the files in the site.  This file (citydesk.xml) is copied to the top directory on the published site.

As part of the publishing process CityDesk retrieves citydesk.xml from the published site and compares it the current site.  Files deleted from the .cty file since the last publish are deleted from the published site.  Files on the published site that are not listed in citydesk.xml are ignored.

Ken McKinney
Saturday, April 24, 2004

So if the new version of the article was placed there using a CityDesk file, this would cause CityDesk to retrieve THAT CityDesk's xml info.

CityDesk would see that the xml file has the article listed as present, would compare to its own info and see that the file is missing, and CityDesk would subsequently delete the file from the server.

Is this correct?

Is there any way to keep the xml files from two different citydesk files from clashing in this way?

Right away I'm thinking of adding an extra directory level to one of the CityDesk Files and publishing one directory higher so that one CityDesk file stashes its XML in the higher directory while the other one stashes its XML in the deeper one.  Does it seem like this could work?

Many thanks,
d

Diane Bryan
Saturday, April 24, 2004

Which gives me an idea for a possible wishlist.  CityDesk currently accommodates collaboration over a network. However, as far as I know, it doesn ot accommodate authorship distributed globally (VPN's aside).

It COULD accommodate distributed authorship if there were a check box in the site setup for [ ] collaboration over the Internet. (or such).

The consequence of checking that box would be that citydesk adds an identifier to the citydesk.xml filename, causing the file to bear the name (for instance) citydesk_diane.xml

Diane's file would only read citydesk_diane.xml and joe's file would only read citydesk_joe.xml.  Diane and Joe would not enjoy the benefits of collaboration over a LAN, but if they set up the site from the start for distributed authorship, where each one is responsible for their part of the website, they wouldn't be bumping into each other.

What would be beyond peachy would be if CityDesk could also be prompted to read certain bits of the other xml file that are tagged as generally relevant.  That would make true collaboration feasible.

Am I way off, or is this a good wishlist item?
d

Diane Bryan
Saturday, April 24, 2004

Hi, there was a question buried in my last two comments...

Would publishing one of the files to a higher directory keep them from interfering with each other?

Is there some other trick?

thanks,
d

Diane Bryan
Monday, April 26, 2004

Yes, you can publish to different folders and they won't interfere with each other during publishing.

Ron Lane
Monday, April 26, 2004

Thanks, Ron,

I'm sorry to belabor this, but obviously it is important to me.

Does this mean that even if both CityDesk files will alter the contents of the same directories, they will not delete or overwrite one another's files as long as

a) they don't have files by the same names
b) they don't publish to the same root directory (e.g. one could publish to one level higher)

Is that right understanding? I'm about to test it out, but it would probably be good news for more users than just me.

d

Diane Bryan
Monday, April 26, 2004

Diane

I'm pretty sure that CD doesn't really care where you publish to (in that; it'll react the same regardless) and if you were to use a couple of test cty files and publish both to the same folder on your HD you could work in the specific needs of your situation and see the results without having to endanger your active files.

GL - PNII

Perpetual Newbie II
Monday, April 26, 2004

Thanks everybody!

I'm off and testing!

d

Diane Bryan
Tuesday, April 27, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home