Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Citydesk not Internationalized Fully?

I recently tried Citydesk and while it's nice and easy to maintain sites with, I'm not sure if it handles other character sets like Joel recently preached in his articles (he didn't preach CD does, he just preached that many software engineers don't know what they're doing).

Is CD supposed to handle other character sets?

I try typing with other character encoding into various dialogs (for instance, the variables).  I try typing in the template editor (HTML view doesn't work, Normal view does).  Couple other places which I can't remember either.

Half of the app accepts my stuff and saves and displays it properly, half of it accepts my alternate encodings, displays it as square character in the editor but displays it properly when the website is generated, AND parts of the app don't really accept it, but just save and display it as question marks even when I generate the site.

I know, those are thirds :)

As far as I know everything should get stored as unicode?

Could there be something I am doing wrong?

11 Month Lurker
Monday, April 05, 2004

I have successfully used CityDesk to create the japanese version of our company's website. You can see it here: http://japan.synqor.com

I get the boxes in the html view but this doesnt hinder me. I have japanese characters in just about every field with no problem. All of my templates use UTF-8 encoding...

Tara Mattison
Wednesday, April 07, 2004

I too am dealing with Japanese.

May I ask how you got an alternate charcter set in the variables?  It does not save them correctly - they are always saved as ?????.

And, definitely the HTML editor supplied with CD does not display other charcter sets.  You have to enter the text in the normal view and then it shows up as boxes in the HTML editor.

Surely Joel you are aware of these bugs and are hoping to fix them after writing your article on how no one understands encoding?

11 Month Lurker
Wednesday, April 07, 2004

I am not using variables.

Tara Mattison
Tuesday, April 13, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home