Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Newbie in trouble, trying something big!

Hello,

Prelude -
Ok, here it is . . . I'm trying out CityDesk for the first time. I went through the tutorials, and I am sort of ok with Dreamweaver and Flash.

Situation -
I have a website (with complex tables that have graphics) that I would like to convert to CityDesk. I need to have each page look the same.

Problem -
CityDesk doesn't want me to import the site as a template (or at least I don't know how), so I can make a teaser on the home page, and have the article on a new page with the same navigation bar.

I know how to import the html file as a page in City, but I can't find out how to import the code or the graphics to be used as a template. The template has to look the same as the site (so the beautiful nav bar is always available).

Research -
1) I tried fiddling with the CSS, but I'm no expert. All I could accomplish was to delete stuff. (btw, how do I get rid of the line at the top of the default tutorial template)
2) I tried importing the html as a page and then copy pasting the code to the template. All the images had broken links, and I don't know how that would import if I fixed it internally (since the site is one file in City, I had no idea how the html would refer to the images - I couldn't even load the images as a template)

Second Problem -
As I was doing research, I found out that importing any html would act funny with the CSS. So I turned that off. I see the page correctly, but none of the JavaScript works now (rollover buttons)

Man, I sure hope that there is an easy fix for all of this.
I would greatly appreciate anyone's help.
Matt

Matt H
Friday, April 02, 2004

Oops . . .
Point 2 should have " . . . and I don't know how that would PUBLISH . . . " (not import) "if I fixed that with Dreamweaver" (not internally)

Matt H
Friday, April 02, 2004

Can you give the url of the site you want to convert to citydesk.

PeterM
Saturday, April 03, 2004

Actually it is still under development. I only have a homepage.

I'm setting it up on the client's server soon.

But it's just a standard "run of the mill" site created by Dreamweaver. It uses tables within tables that contain images. The nav bar has rollover buttons (mouseover), and the site uses some everyday Javascript for that.

but I'll get it up as soon as I can so you can take a look.

Loading this page into Citydesk creates problems with any links. Editing the page so that it uses a template makes my code display as an embeded page within the tutorial. Editing the code so that it doesn't use a template makes the page display "almost" correctly, but then the margins and Javascript doesn't work (so no mouseovers).

Matt H
Monday, April 05, 2004

Matt,

I didn't really read your explanation carefully, but I know from past experience that CityDesk has a tendency to mangle your rollover Javascript if you view the page under "Normal" view.  I have a rollover effect on one of my pages, and I never edit that page under "Normal" view.  Could this be your problem?

Alex Chernavsky
Wednesday, April 07, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home