Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

I need to "repair" a few .cty files

I need some advice on repairing some .cty files. When CityDesk trys to open them I get "Unrecognized database format." I don't have Access.

It was horrible: Two hard drives; .cty files automatically backed up to the other hard drive; drive "c:" crashes; bought a new PC; put the old drive "d:" into the new machine - I was safe. The old drive in my new PC worked great; all my stuff was in fine shape.

That lasted for 4 hours. By the time I'd installed all my software, my old drive became unusable: "wasn't formatted."

So I used "GetDataBack" which proved to be a miracle. Most of my .cty files came back fine but I can't open 3 of them. Several others produce the problem report when I try to change backup location.

Anyone have any ideas?

tk
Wednesday, March 24, 2004

It sounds like you need to find someone with Access to run the compact and repair utility on the databases.

Ron Lane
Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Try the dowload available from this knowledge base article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;273956

Ron Porter
Thursday, March 25, 2004

Have you tried that without Access or Visual Basic installed? The article says one of those is needed to use the utility. I would like to know if it works without them.

Ron Lane
Thursday, March 25, 2004

Nope, never tried it without at least the Access runtime installed and I don't have any machines available that don't already have Access or its runtime already installed. I'm not sure whether MS makes the Access runtime available for download and installation, but that might be a possibility. Also, it may be that there is enough JET installed with CityDesk to support that utility.

I'm at work, so I don't have access to a CityDesk install, but I would have thought that it would already have a 'compact' or 'repair' menu item somewhere. If not, then maybe that should become a feature request.

Ron Porter
Friday, March 26, 2004

Failure at both the Access repair and with the standalone repair from Microsoft.

My crash must have sliced big holes in some of my .cty files. Some won't open, some generate blizzards of CityDesk problem reports (sorry FogCreek) and a few buckets full of Microsoft problem reports. A few work just fine though.

I'm going to sulk for a while and then figure out the best way to proceed.

tk
Friday, March 26, 2004

Maybe this programm can help. Never used it myself.

http://www.matpie.drw.net/PBSystems/products/retired/MDBRepair.html

PeterM
Saturday, March 27, 2004

Or maybe this

http://www.ally.ru/downloads.phtml?id=1&page=1

PeterM
Saturday, March 27, 2004

TK, I was never able to recover after my computer locked-up during compacting from within CityDesk.  When I rebooted the computer, I saw that the cty file had gone from a few megabytes in size to just a few kilobytes.  I still haven't reconstructed the site within CityDesk.  For the past few months, I've been updating my site manually using HomeSite.

Alex Chernavsky
Saturday, March 27, 2004

I always back up to CD's. Takes a little longer than having two hard-drives, but as TK knows by now, are a lot safer.
Like Alex I find myself writing larger and larger parts of my sites outside CityDesk. When I saw that Joel (in another forum of course) asked people to give him ideas for what to write about, my first thought was that CityDesk was dead. Nothing I've read (and NOT read) since has convinced me otherwise.

Jorgen Brenting
Sunday, March 28, 2004

I had some backups on zip disks. They were a little old but helpful. I've got two sites left to recover. One I have on zip disk. The other I dread - more than 700 pages.

The site I dreaded recovering the most turned out to be easier than I thought. In the process I cleaned out a lot of messy build up and fixed the scripts to make it publish faster.

I'd like to thank the "GetDataBack" folks. It was just remarkable. I think that any files I'd written in that last 3 days before my crash were currupted. I got a heck of a lot back.

Thanks also the the Forum folks for the suggestions and e-mails.

I do have the option of maintaining all or part of my 700 page site in FrontPage. But it relies so heavily on keywords and dates that I can't do the same site without Citydesk. And, I don't want to. I'm sure I'll make back my recovery time.

The happy part is that the wife allowed me a new PC: from a .533 with a zip drive to a 2.8 with a DVD writer. This is the first time I've had a faster PC than the wife and my 2 college girls.

tk
Sunday, March 28, 2004

Nice to hear you could recover some of your files.

"the wife allowed me a new PC"

Are you sure you didn't mess up your Citydesk files on purpose? ;-)

PeterM
Sunday, March 28, 2004

GOOD GRIEF - I got my files back. I ran "GetMyDataBack" two more times for a total of three times. The first one didn't get my damaged .cty files, the third one didn't either, but the second one did. I was lucky on this one and I'm not naturally lucky.

P.S. Wife sees through me like water. It reminds me of the movie, "The Right Stuff" when Gordo's wife goes into the office to talk with the nurse. If you've seen the movie and you're married, you'll know what I mean.

tk
Sunday, March 28, 2004

Well, I bet Terry will have a very robust backup plan in place for the next month or so at least!

joel goldstick
Monday, March 29, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home