Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

How long does it take to publish 200 articles?

My site contains something like 250 one page long articles.

It takes 2 min 59 sec to preview the site on my computer.

Is CitiDesk so slow or I am doing somenthing wrong? Please share your experience.

JaSikor
Wednesday, March 17, 2004

It is "so slow", we are having the same issues here.

Patrick Thomas
telepark

For CityDesk tips and tricks visit:
http://www.telepark.de/webwizards/

Patrick Thomas

On my largest site I have 83 articles - takes 17 seconds to publish to my hard drive (there are a futher 25 PDFs and images - total size of files is 3.8MB).

I only have 1 template though. Each article potentially could use all the fields in the Extra/Properties tab (so there's a dozen or so if nonblank type script instructions). Template contains 5 loops and 1 include file instruction.

And about 10 articles contain more loop scripting in their body (sub-index pages).

Template's loops shown below - basically have to use a loop to detect a keyword and decide whether to show or not show something.

{$ forEach x in (and(thisArticle)(keywordContains "membersonly")) $}

{$ forEach x in (and(thisArticle)(keywordContains "nocache")) $} //this one used twice

{$ forEach x in (and(thisArticle)(keywordContains "homepage")) $}

{$ foreach x in (and (thisFolder)(keywordContains "menu")(not (thisArticle))) $}

Dan

I have one site that contains 204 pages. Publishing to my Web server [which is 1,500 kilometers from my office] takes [on average] close to 2 minutes using a broadband connection. I tend to publish in the early morning or very late at night.

Publishing [the above] for Preview [at my office] takes less than 1 minute.

David Mozer

There are two steps in the publish process that can take time (as I understand it), one is the actual building of the site, the other is uploading to your server.

The former can vary wildly depending on how large and complex your site is (how many pages and how many cityscript loops there are) but the faster your PC is, the quicker the build is. My site contains 1120 articles with loads of loops and scripts - it takes around a minute or two to build on my dual P3-800 with 512MB RAM. It used to take a lot longer on my old P3-500 with the same memory.

The latter depends on your connection to your server - if it's ftp and you have a broadband then it'll be pretty quick and likewise slow on a slow connection. I think my generated site is around 20MB so if I were to publish the entire thing to a blank server it would take a very long time over a dial-up connection!

John C

For publishing, waiting "a minute" is fine. But for back-and-forth previewing while working on content it becomes prohibitive.

Patrick Thomas
http://www.telepark.de/webwizards/

Patrick Thomas

You know you can preview a single page, don't you? Just hit the preview button at the top of the article window.

Much faster than generating the whole site every time.

Darren Collins

Previewing a single page doesn't work if you use external style sheets - the style sheets don't get generated.

Pat Rice
Thursday, March 18, 2004

You can publish a single page to your server.  The stylesheet will get pulled in.  I recommend setting up a local server. 

joel goldstick
Thursday, March 18, 2004

At least if you use an external program to polish the output of CityDesk, publishing a single page doesn't work, since there is no way to tell the external program *which* page needs to be polished...

Kai Jäger
Saturday, March 20, 2004

I maintain permanent local copies of my web sites, that I always keep in sync with the public version. This avoids having to do a full publish/preview each time I make some changes.

Joel Goodwin
Sunday, March 21, 2004

I have a site that is 500+items and 125 megs.  It takes about 30-45 seconds to publish in as a local preview.

Daniel Mathieux
Monday, March 29, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home