Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Publishing to existing folder

I have an existing site I have converted to CD. I want to publish to the site but leave the existing site intact. The index of the existing site is index.shtml and the new is index.html so nothing will get overwritten and botth will resolve until I am ready to switch (I'd rather fight).

The files for the new site are in folders so the folders will get copied to the new location, again leaving the existing site intact.

I have tried this before with a different site and watched as CD deleted all the files and folders in the existing site while publishing to it.

Isn't there a way to publish without CD deleting all the existing files and folders?

Thanks,

John Cesta

john cesta
Thursday, March 11, 2004

It has been my experience that once you delete the citydesk.xml file, nothing else is touched. This is how I keep my citydesk database small, I only keep 3 months of monthly folders in the database, at the end of each month I delete the oldest monthly folders from the datatbase, then delete the xml file from the server and publish, it leaves the monthly folders intact. I then add a link to the list of files in the folders on a monthly archive page.

I keep a backup of the entire site just in case something goes wrong, but I have been doing this for 6 months with no problem.

Ron Lane
Thursday, March 11, 2004

Doesn't the xml file have to be generated first before you can delete it?

john cesta
Thursday, March 11, 2004

CityDesk doesn't delete files it didn't create.  It doesn't remove directories it didn't create either.  It will overwrite a file with the same name in the same location.  Just to convince yourself of what will happen, why not ftp your comlete old site to somewhere on your machine, set up a publishing location that writes to that place and publish.  Then look and see what happens.

joel goldstick
Friday, March 12, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home