Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

For image insertion, please use float instead

Hi all,

Currently, when CityDesk inserts an image either with the setting left or right, it uses an align parameter in the img tag, align=left or align=right.

In the next version, could this be modified to use float:left or float:right instead? The code that's inserted already includes [style="margin-left:5px"] to the img tag so we're almost there.

Thanks.

David Watts
Thursday, March 11, 2004

Agreed, if I recall correctly the align parameter is the only thing keeping my site from being XHTML 1.1.

Emperor Norton
Thursday, March 11, 2004

I'm not sure this is a good idea. In my experience the float model in IE 5/6 is significantly more eccentric/buggy than most other pieces of IE's CSS implementation. What say others?

David Walker
Thursday, March 11, 2004

floats work fine.  But they are more confusing than they appear to be at first glance

joel goldstick
Friday, March 12, 2004

How about leaving the markup to bare minimum.  Maybe allow the user to include a class or id.  Then, let the designer do the styling as required.

joel goldstick
Friday, March 12, 2004

The img tag also needs a "longdesc" tag to allow one to add a longer description on a separate page. Without that it always fails on accessible tests like "Bobby".

Thomas Schoessow
Sunday, March 14, 2004

I like Joel Goldtick's notion of keeping the markup to a bare minimum and allowing the user to select a class. The issue then is giving the less-skilled user the information to know which class to select. In an ideal world, I would prefer the designer to specify a list of classes that were available for less-skilled users to assign to particular tags - and tooltips for each task.

Float in IE6 has a few issues. See http://www.positioniseverything.net/.

David Walker
Monday, March 15, 2004

Actually, there is another image attribute that isn't XHTML compatible.

When you insert an image CityDesk 2 also includes a border attribute (border="0"). Border isn't valid XHTML 1.0.

Jody Fanning
Monday, March 29, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home