Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CtyCalendar & HTML DbScript

Just a quick usage update on these terrific utils...

I'm slowly porting a lot of my articles to mdb tables thanks to DbScript. I can't create separate articles per record, but I can show a group of records in one CD article. That's ok with me for now, as I'd rather get most of the content in with mdb tables.

Of course, my mdb is growing like a weed, with tables and forms. I'm trying to keep it KISS simple, so no queries or reports or anything! The mdb is just a simple input file.

Now that I have articles that successfully query the mdb via HTML DbScript, it's getting easier to add/modify CD articles as I grow my mdb.

CtyCal is terrific. I haven't modified anything.

The one thing I tried is using a batch file to call the two utils. Oh oh! Doesn't work. Looks like the CtyCal command line is too long for the batch file. As well, the batch file executes DbScript first, but doesn't wait for it to finish before executing CtyCalendar. I could PAUSE, but always another intervention to bother with.

So I have a location to publish with DbScript first. And then I publish with another location for CtyCalendar. It seems to work...

Thought I'd update...

Bob Bloom
Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Bob, what you're doing sounds very interesting. How about providing a step by step example showing off how this is beneficial. I am having some difficulty understanding the value proposition.

BTW, when you state that your tables a growing like a weed -- what does that mean? If you mean in size ACCESS has a built-in utility that compacts and repair weeds. :-)

David Mozer
Wednesday, March 10, 2004

David,

The "value proposition" is where do you input your content?

There are times, more than I thought, where I prefer to enter my content in a database instead of an article.

For example, I have a list of URL links. One article per URL. Absolutely nothing in the body of the article. Name of URL in the ABOUT field, URL in the SIDEBAR field.

I'd rather just input a new link as a new record in an Access table an never touch Citydesk at all. Why? 'Cause it's a pain in the butt to copy/paste articles.

Events may seem less trivial. Our committees host a lot of events. It would be so much easier to add/modify/delete events in an Access table instead of creating records in each committee's subdirectory. I create/modify the html in FrontPage anyways, so I just copy the html into Access instead of into another article.

The "value proposition": one record = one html page

Hope this helps.

Bob Bloom
Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Bob:

How do you enter the data into the tables -- direct entry or through an Access form?

amos
Monday, March 15, 2004

Amos,

Both. But I'm starting to use forms, because I can see my html in a big box in a form.

What intrigues me is... multi user!

An unintendend consequence of using an external db. I can set up an Access mdb file for someone else. Design a form for them. They can add content via the form. Email the mdb file to me. And their content is added. They don't get an opportunity to FTP or change variables or much around with the templates because they don't ever open CD. Hmmmm....

-Bob

Bob Bloom
Monday, March 15, 2004

Forgive my ignorance on Access capabilities, but can one write/edit text in a dbm field with MS Word?

Paul iliano
Wednesday, March 17, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home