Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

File Copy problem

We set up a new hosted server with a VPN from the office. For security reasons, I don't want to open FTP to the web root.

I created a publishing location based on File Copy. It works sort of, but then gets to a .pdf file and chokes and crashes CityDesk. However, CD had already copied over .pdf files larger than the one that choked.

I deleted the offending .pdf file, only to have CD choked on the next one.

Any thoughts?

amos
Tuesday, March 02, 2004

If all else fails, you could try this advanced workaround.

Change your Publish settings.
1) Change the File Copy deployment destination to a local directory, eg c:\MyPublishedSite.
2) Use the "After Copy" publishing option to specify a command that deploys your files over the VPN.

For this command, you can choose between XCOPY, available on Windows machines by default (which would require the command: XCOPY C:\MyPublishedSite M:\MappedVPNDirectory
- or -
use Microsoft's freely available RoboCopy (robust file copy) command: ROBOCOPY /S  C:\MyPublishedSite M:\MappedVPNDirectory

The difference: xcopy will copy all files, every time. 
Robocopy will only copy changed files, and can recover from network disconnects.

Robocopy Download : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9D467A69-57FF-4AE7-96EE-B18C4790CFFD&displaylang=en

Bernard Vander Beken
Tuesday, March 02, 2004

After messing around with it, the cleanest solution seems to be:

a. make sure to compact the database routinely, particularly when you're making a lot of changes.

b. delete the existing xml file on the server and republish.

amos
Monday, March 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home