Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Feasible size of CTY file

We've used CD to publish our product catalog of approx 1.000 articles to the web. Very satisfied with the product by the way.
The CTY file now is approx 10MB.
Now for several products we want to add documentation in the form of PDF's. These total approx 300 MB.
Keeping them separete and adding links to articles will make maintenance more complex (broken links...).
Haven't tried yet but it seems to me that adding the PDF's to CD will grow the file to uncomfortable sizes.
In the experience of fellow users, what is a feasible max size of the CTY file? Thanks!

Hans van Leth
Saturday, February 28, 2004

Hans van Leth :re Feasible size of CTY file

Your question has a number of answers. I'll provide one and perhaps others will provide more.

CD is based on the MS ACCESS DB. Tables in Access 2000/02 have a
2 gigabyte file size limit minus the space needed for the system objects. Please remember that you can have *many* tables contained within the actual database. A database is a collection of tables.

Regardless of where CD is run from [Desktop or Server] ITS far more important to have properly equipped hardware [computer] that has the horsepower [RAM/Processor/HD/Disk controller] that can deal with large file sizes with ease. Also with Access as you work with the data in your database, the records can become discontiguous as they are saved. This increases the size of your database. To ensure optimal performance from your database, you should compact and repair your Access files regularly – after each work session. I also recommend de-fragmenting the HD which contains the DB frequently assuming that THAT space is shared with other stuff that gets stored. IF that space is not shared with other stuff then de-fragmenting the HD is not as critical and can be done once every month rather than once every week for example.

I have not had any experience with CD and large file size. I have had some experience with some very large Access DB [10GB] and I know of others that have worked with even larger Access DB’s.

David Mozer

Why would you have broken links to your pdf's?

FTP your pdf's separately, outside of CD, and just use regular referencing in your <a href></a> tags.

I notice that my little site is 6Mb already. And plans in the works could multiply that a lot!

I thought that maybe having different CTY files would be good, for different parts of my site. But that means that my integrated home page of articles from all over the site won't show up. So... maybe that's not a good idea!

Using HTML- DbScript can help by creating records in a new webmaster-customized Access mdb, instead of using articles to mimic records in an database table.

Keeping non-article files that don't get updated much separate from my CTY file is another way to keep the CTY size low. My own experience is that, sometimes, a PDF (or whatever) that doesn't get modified still gets FTP'd. Which can stink if it's a 1+Mb file that gets uploaded with each PUBLISH. If I have ten "reference" PDF's sitting on my site, I don't want 10Mb uploaded each time. So I tend to keep these files off the CTY file.

I don't really know what to do about jpgs. Sometimes it's easier to import 'em into CTY. But maybe it's a consideration to leave 'em off as well and FTP 'em separately. I use FrontPage to size 'em on the page anyways (as I do for a lot of my editing), so it's actually easier *not* to use magic names.

I hope this helps. I've been mulling my ever-growing CTY file as well.

-Bob

Bob Bloom

Experience with 240 MB size CTY files with lots of individual documents files (pdf, word...) shows one major drawback: Preview just takes forever. At least in comparison to the speed one is accustomed to working with CityDesk ;-)

Patrick
http://www.telepark.de/webwizards

Patrick Thomas
Sunday, February 29, 2004

Multimedia, large files, that sort of thing - I would definitely advocate maintaining those separately.

I publish a lot of images to my own City Desk-based site, but only a few icons and backdrops are actually embedded in the CTY file. All the rest are in separate image directories that I are created separately.

I publish locally, add the image files to the local version. Once I'm happy with the results, I use City Desk to publish the site and then manually FTP the image directories afterwards.

I don't think there's a persuasive argument for fattening up the CTY file with those images.

Joel Goodwin
Sunday, February 29, 2004

My issues with making the links external are:

1. With 100+ PDF's which change regularly one loses the overview of which files are needed and which are not. Any error will either give a broken link (as will typos), or an unused file. The strength of CD is maintaining this integrity.

2. Entering external links is a bit iffy if they need to work both in a (file copy) test environment as well as on the internet. This works best when entering eg. "/docs/hi.pdf". When re-opening this link however, "file:///" is added by CD and when saving that back, the links won't work anymore using http.

So, will add the PDF's to CD with the growing size and slow publish as a tradeoff. Thanks for all your replies!

Hans van Leth
Wednesday, March 03, 2004

We created an asp page which lives in CD and when published, creates all the links to the external pdf files. My .CTY file was huge until we instituted this. Preview was AGONY and took 45 minutes! I couldnt even use my machine for certain processor intensive things during this time. Sure, there could be broken links, but the trade off was worth it in time savings. My .cty file previews and publishes now in less than 1.5 minutes.  =)

Tara Mattison
Monday, March 08, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home