Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Can I make my own online forum?

Is it possible to create an online discussion board like this one for our own websites using City Desk? This would be the most convenient way of gathering user input and comments.

Miguel H. Villasin
Tuesday, February 24, 2004

You need additional software to run on your web server. Several options were discussed in this thread.
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=11325&ixReplies=10

Ken McKinney

Sorry - should have added this detail: I'm running a simple CD website on a LAN (using a shared drive), i.e., no web server per se, just links to pages on the shared drive. Is it possible to run a forum in this environment?

Miguel H. Villasin

I don't think so.  But you can get an apache web server free from the web.  There are lots of free board software programs you can load to do this

Joel Goldstick

If you're running Windows 2000, IIS is easy to install and supports .asp scripting without additional configuration (Control Panel => Add/Remove Programs => Add/Remove Windows Components).

You can get .asp scripts at places like hotscripts.com.

Get a discussion board script, and link to a new topic on the discussion board. It will take a bit more work to set up the topic and then make the link from your article, but doesn't require any additional scripting on your part.

amos
Wednesday, February 25, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home