Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

FTP Error :: Once Again

Hi,
I am getting the following error when I try to publish to my website. "Couldn't put file: The server returned extended information". I know this topic has been covered before in this forum and I've gone through it but the error persists.

I am trying to publish my files to a subdirectory on the server and I am giving the subdirectory as "docs/fogcreek". The Articles folder gets created under the fogcreek directory on the server and it also copies fog0000000006.html  file but the size of this file is 0 KB. Also the index.html file does not get copied. I get another error saying " 500 Index.html error".

Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong here.

Deepak Sharma
Tuesday, December 18, 2001

Post the specs for where you are publishing...
name of server, passive mode, etc.. basically everything in the ftp properties pane.

also try using the url: ftp://user:pw@ftp.host.com
and making directories and putting files up.

Michael Pryor

Thanks Michael. I got it working. I just turned off the Passive Mode and it started working.

Anyways the error "Couldn't put file: The server returned extended information" is not very descriptive and not easily understandable (read that, "It does not make any sense") . Moreover during the time FTP is in progress we can see a whole lot of information scroll by(Various FTP commands) on the FTP Progress window and in the case of error(like mine) it stops on this window. This scrollable area is disabled. If I was able to read the information here, I could have saved some time writing to you guys. Any ideas why was this disabled ?

Deepak Sharma

The error is being returned by your FTP Server and CityDesk is just displaying it to you.  I agree that its not very descriptive and very unhelpful but unix programmers writing ftp servers aren't so interested in usability.  Maybe there are good FTP servers out there that return decent errors, but I don't know of any.

The scrollbar isn't to scroll back to older messages, its just there in case the message you are currently looking at is too long to display in that box.  The reason it is disabled is because the message fits in the box, so there is no reason to scroll.  It might be helpful though to keep the old FTP messages around, but presumably they were the success messages and so not very interesting while debugging your problem.

Michael Pryor

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home