Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

How to pull text from html files into articles?

I'm desperately looking for a way to write content in MS Word.

Html files can be perfectly edited with Word where articles unfortunately cannot. My idea is to write content in html files with Word, then pull text from html files into articles. Much like the {$ include $} statement pulls the content from an article into another article.

I didn't find a way to pull this off however. Does anybody know about a way to do this? Thanks.

Paul iliano
Friday, February 20, 2004

Here is some Word agony:

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=11427&ixReplies=20

tk

Yes, people have tried all kinds of things to get Word content transfered into CD.

My idea is to write content in a CD html file, then pull it into CD articles, much like the {$ include $} statement.

How can I do this?

Paul iliano

Paul,

CityDesk only lets you include content from articles, not html files.  At one point there was some chatter about getting allowing outside apps, like Word, to edit articles.  Hopefully that feature will be in 3.0.

David Burch

David: thanks for clarifying.

Letting Word edit the body field of articles would be great indeed.

Paul iliano
Saturday, February 21, 2004

Actually: Please, dear God, no.

Word creates horrid HTML. Perhaps it would be possible to do an "import Word HTML" feature which purges the file from all the MS-specific tags? Dreamweaver has something like this.

It should be easy enough ("he said, practically hearing Joel's snort with disdain") to pipe the HTML through TidyLib during this import process.

But please: I don't even own Word (nor do I have it installed :-).

GeraldH
Monday, February 23, 2004

I would agree with this last comment. If you must use word as an editor, at least give the option to pass it through a really good filter.

For others reading this thread - if you've never looked at the HTML that word produces, you should...

Robert Pawlak ( www.chessassistance.com )
Tuesday, February 24, 2004

I agree with Gerald, Bob, and Paul. Most folks own Word. If you could somehow let them use it without screwing up CityDesk, you could overcome some of authoring / training obstacles. But even if you could overcome the Word generated HTML problem, the author still might wonder why the 24 point pink text he created didn't show up on the website.

tk
Friday, February 27, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home