Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Feature request: simple database publishing

Hi:

This may sound like a strange request, since using Citydesk means essentially of course you are **already** using a database publishing tool in Citydesk, complete with MS a Access format datafile.

But what I would be VERY keen to see added into CityDesk would be the ability for me to use it to do some basic database publishing.

That it to say, to make web pages out of information recorded in an existing external database, or (even better) let users create and maintain the database using CityDesk, storing the information alongside CityDesk's other data.

Let me explain. I have a database of suppliers whose selective details I want to list in a section of a site I may be putting together. This section is to be called my 'Supplier Directory'.

'Supplier Directory' is a page (suppliers.htm) which contains a alpha sorted listing of the name of each of my suppliers, with more details about individual suppliers sitting on more web pages linked from the name of each supplier on the 'Supplier Directory' page  (eg to pages boogywoogy.htm, bugleboy.htm, fromcompanyC.htm etc).

Each individual suppliers page (eg boogywoogy.htm) would have name, contact, web address, email, product information etc about each supplier.

To create these individual supplier pages, and the 'Supplier Directory' page, CityDesk would let users define basic queries against the source database, or have some simple wizard or GUI tool to do this, and also let users define loops etc to help with the display of content that matches what is needed etc.

Then once done, the pages would be previewed and published as static HTML just like CityDesk does normally.

In a sense this would see what CityDesk can already do  extended to support some traditional database publishing needs a lot of users have. Because it is very similar to how Citydesk already works, maybe this wouldn't be too difficult a capability to add into the product??

Here's hoping.

If there is already a way to do this, short of bulk manual data entry into CityDesk, pls let me know!

cheers

SB

Steven B
Monday, February 16, 2004

I suggest making up a simple tag with an embeded query and then using the external program on publishing hook in the location properties.

You could then write a simple filter that looked for this tag in all of the files before they were published and replaced it with a table generated from the query.

Lou Franco
Monday, February 16, 2004

You can try DB to HTML Express (http://www.xlinesoft.com/). It runs off template files which you can create and maintain in Citydesk. You can create pages for each record and one or more index pages that reference them. It can be run from the command line, and hence can be integrated into CityDesk post-processing.

It has some quirks, but once you understand them you should be able to achieve exactly what you want.

It costs $US129. For my purposes on one project, that was well worth it.

David Walker
Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Nice. This can also be done with an XSLT-sheet when the data to be converted is in XML-format. I'm doing this for a colleague wo wants to setup a recipe-website. I already did some data-mining for this but it aint finished yet. You can read a my proceedings (in Dutch, sorry) at http://www.xs4all.nl/~digirini/contents/datamining.html

Rinus Luijmes
Thursday, February 19, 2004

Take a look at this database publishing software http://www.websitedatabases.com It's easy to use if you are familiar with excel or acccess and they offer a free trial version.

Timothy
Thursday, September 30, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home