Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Creating Folders recursively?

I'm evaluting CityDesk to see how it would handle a KnowledgeBase for where I work.  So far, I really like what I see but I'm curious about one thing.

Is it possible to have a folder template, i.e. one for new customers, that when a new folder is created, it automagically creates any child folders, including any index articles that might be necessary in the child folders?  The analogy I'm thinking of is Share and Branch recursively in Visual Source Safe.  Basically, I'd like to allow someone outside IT to be able to create a new folder with customer specific folders beneath it all in one step and without having to write any CityDesk script in the index articles.

I'm not sure this is possible and it's definitely not a deal breaker as I've already come up with workarounds in my head but thought I'd see if it was possible and I was just missing it.

Osiris
Friday, February 13, 2004

There's nothing automatic in CityDesk to do this, but with some creativity you could write VBA code for Access to create a new folder and sub-folders (the tables you need to modify are tblFolder and tblStructure).

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software
Friday, February 20, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home