Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Does anyone make money directly with CityDesk?

I am curious whether anyone in listening range has based part or all of an independent web design business on using Citydesk as the tool to automate the site maintenance. 

And how you sold your efficiencies to your clients. (Or did you?) And how you promoted it in general.

I have worked, re-worked, and re-re-worked an organization's web site over the last several years.  First incarnation was entirely Frontpage, second incarnation was basic HTML and then SHTML with a low end web editor, third incarnation was Postnuke (yukkkkkk), and now I am thinking of shoveling the mess into Citydesk.

Yesterday I got a mental 'flash' of how to clone some of the look and feel of the Postnuke demo site using Citydesk templates. And I feel pretty strongly that I could bundle up the basic concept and resell it to other organizations of the same type, in order to leverage the conceptual and design work.

It's funny, I stumbed into some threads here asking for an "elevator" speech for Citydesk (aka short summary of selling points) and most of them sounded fairly tortured. After working for awhile with Citydesk to redesign my own business's web site, I feel like I've backed into the holy grail of semicustom web authoring. ;-) I just can't explain it to anyone who doesn't know, to suit myself. (it feels kind of like trying to explain Delphi to a VB programmer, heh...)

Bored Bystander
Monday, February 02, 2004

I've made money building uncomplicated CityDesk sites for folks. I've got 3 more fish on the hook now - actually I'm the one on the hook. I've done a few that I've been able to hand off to the customer. But mostly I build and continue to manage the sites for them. It could have been done with other products. But CityDesk is more fun and more efficient for me.

It's not easy for me to explain CityDesk to others.

tk
Monday, February 02, 2004

The building web sites part of my business... yeah that is based on CityDesk. It [building sites that will be maintained in CD] accounts for a part of my revenue that I would otherwise struggle without (I started up last year).

The software is just easy, although a couple of my clients still screw-up an article from time to time (paste-without-formatting - I really hate Word and that sometimes extends to CD).

CD means that I'm not trying to claw back hidden development costs for a CMS (or customising something like postnuke) from each of my clients. I simply know that the CMS part is going to cost $100 or whatever for the software, and the client also knows this.

If CityDesk didn't exist....
I would be yet another MySQL based CMS developer.

Dan
Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Guys, thanks for the responses so far.

Postnuke is an absolute mess. The deceptive thing is that it promised "speed" of deployment when I first set it up. It did install easily, considering everything that is in it.

Well, for one thing, all of the fonts were wrong - just plain too small for Mozilla. Also, the mass of features and the semi-documented state of the system means that you spend *endless* time tinkering with changes and trying things to see if you've fixed a particular problem. Just changing the style sheet that ships with a particular site style is a *major* undertaking because everything's interrelated and nothing's documented.

I simple mindedly approached Postnuke thinking that it removed the burden of HTML development. WRONG. If anything, it replaces some minor gruntwork with major amounts of detailed gruntwork, caused by the spaghetti interactions between components of the system.

I could go on but suffices it to say that I don't see how a LAMP CMS could possibly be cost effective unless you were being funded by very deep pockets.

Citydesk rocks. It's truly a competitive advantage in the right hands, I believe.

Bored Bystander
Tuesday, February 03, 2004

I've made some smaller sites with CD for clients. I'm not in the pure web developing business but use it as a complement to my other services.

Below is an example.

http://www.soderstromsrev.se/

Regards,
Patrik

Patrik Falk
Thursday, February 05, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home