Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Multiuser via Contributor Edition?

I'm using CityDesk to manage a website edited by several employees. I created the site.cty file using CityDesk Pro, placed it on our file server, and installed CityDesk Contributor on each of the employee workstations.

However, it appears that only one employee at a time is able to edit the site.cty file at a time. Does each editing user actually have to use Pro to allow concurrent editing?

If so, then what good is Contributor?

M.S. Manley
Monday, January 26, 2004

Didn't actually mean to come off as snarky as that last line indicates.

I do need to know if this is an unintended situation for the Contributor version, though.

Any clues from anyone?

M.S. Manley
Tuesday, January 27, 2004

No, everyone should be able to edit it at the same time.

What particular problem are you having when the second person opens the file?

Joel Spolsky (Fog Creek Software)
Tuesday, January 27, 2004

When the second Contributor attempts to open the CityDesk file, the following error dialog appears:

"The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '/path/to/file.cty'. It is already opened by another user, or you need permissions to view its data."

Both users have filesystem permission to open the file, but it appears, after additional experimenting, that its just one of the users who is unable to open the file simultaneously.

Is this something that might require an upgrade of the Jet engine on that user's computer? The folks running Contributor are running W2k, fully patched with the possible exception of the updates to Jet.

Thanks.

MSM

M.S. Manley
Thursday, January 29, 2004

This turned out to be a permissions problem. Lesson: never trust the user to report things accurately. Always go to their desk and look at the thing yourself. Sheesh.

M.S. Manley
Monday, February 02, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home