Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

forum possible?

Hi folks. I'm new to CD, and like it a lot.
Is it possible to create a forum where people (site viewers)can post new items? I don't know anything about cgi scripts. I do know a little ASP/VBAscripting.

Thanks for the help!

Bert (NL)
Thursday, January 22, 2004

I'm not sure what you mean.  This forum is for that.  There is also templates.fogcreek.com for ready made templates for citydesk.

joel goldstick

I think this is what you are looking for. It's free, and it's very easy to set up. Use it myself toghether with a CD generated site. (CD1 that is.)
http://www.webwizguide.info/web_wiz_forums/default.asp

Jorgen Brenting

John Conners has a free PHP/mySQL one.  I haven't used it but my understanding is it mimics the one here.

http://www.johnsadventures.com/backend/DiscussionForum/APHPDiscussionForum.html

Ken McKinney

John's forum works if you have MySQL and PHP on your server. You don't really have to know anything about MySQL or PHP to make it work.

tk

Thank for all your input.

I wrote "Is it possible to create a forum where people (site viewers) can post new items?". What I meant was if it was possible to create a forum *WITH CD*, as a few umderstood.    :-)

Again, thanks and I will look to your suggestions!

Bert

Bert (NL)
Friday, January 23, 2004

You can't do it with CityDesk alone.

tk
Friday, January 23, 2004

I think in the following direction:
Due to the fact that the cty file is a mdf file, it should be possible to add CD-articles (aka forum reactions) to the mdf with ASP script. And on the server it should be possible to automate the upload by a scheduled task or something likewise?

Haven't tried this yet...working on it.

Greetings from Holland
Bert

Bert (NL)
Saturday, January 24, 2004

mdf = mdb

Bert (NL)
Saturday, January 24, 2004

Wow, that would be slick. I hope you succeed.

Maybe I'm completely off the mark here, but in my case the cty file resides on my hard drive, so even though it can be opened with an mdb extension it has no dynamic relationship with my website (not to mention, even if the cty file resided on a folder, say, in the root directory, how could it "participate in real time" with forum postings?).

I hope I'm off the mark, coz I'm looking for a simple forum solution (sorry..."solution" is sooooooooooo over used, but, hey, sometimes it hits the mark).

George Illes
Sunday, January 25, 2004

George,

I first didn't get it why this shouldn't be possible.
While typing this answer I did :-(

In my test environment the mdb _is_ present, but if your site is hosted by a ISP it most likely is not.

Hmmmm...

Bert (NL)
Monday, January 26, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home