Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Bug when using external programs

It seems that if you use another extension than html for your index file and run an external program during publishing (before copying the files), the unwanted index.html (site file list) also gets published.

First, create a new site and change the extension of the template to e.g. ".php". Then set up a new publishing location using file copy to any folder.

If you publish the site to this location, and after publishing presses preview, CD tells IE to show "index.html", although there is no such file. That's ok with me.

Things get different however if you tell CD to run a program before copying the files. Then, when you press preview, CD again opens up IE targeted at “index.html”, although this time it exists!

This shouldn't be the case, I assume.

Regards
  Henrik Jernevad

Henrik Jernevad (www.henko.net)
Sunday, January 18, 2004

I hope you get a solution to this question, I have the same problem. I am using a php extention, I have set the server to use php as the default, but if someone had bookmarked the site to index.html previously then they get the confusing page. I try to remember to ftp and delete the html file, but many times forget, could I put that in after copy to delete index.html...

Ron Lane
Sunday, January 18, 2004

For now you'll have to add a line to delete the index.html from the citydesk outputted files if you use an external program.  This is because previously, without external programs, the citydesk.xml file which decides what goes up and what doesn't was generated by CD and it knew you had no index.html file, so it left it out.  But if you use an external program, you may have deleted or added files to the citydesk outputted directory (you may have even added a custom index.html file) so the xml file is rebuilt from what is sitting on disk. If you don't want it uploaded, for now you'll have to delete it as part of your external program.

Michael H. Pryor (fogcreek)
Sunday, January 18, 2004

Given my lack of experience, I am probably about to recommend something that's already been tried, but here goes, anyway...

How about putting the index.html file to work for you, instead of trying to figure out how to get rid of it..?

01 - Add an index.html file to your CityDesk file.

02 - Add a single line to the body of index.html, like, "Welcome!  Please wait..."

02 - Add the "refresh" META-tag to index.html's header, with the redirected url set to your correct home page, such as, "http://www.yourcompany.com/index.php"

You can adjust the delay before the page refreshes using the "content" value in the refresh meta-tag...

Here's a basic article:  http://webdesign.about.com/cs/metatags/a/aa111699.htm

After reading this thread, I figured I'd see if my site could use something of the same sort.  Maybe decoy/redirect pages are the way to go for all those other default extensions...

Hope this helps..!

Joseph E.
Thursday, January 22, 2004

I will check into something like that, I don't think it will be anything a user can do as the index.html that is being generated by CD is of it's own making, not something I can edit.

How does one go about deleting a file in the before copy line? I have tried "del index.html" but that doesn't work.

Ron Lane
Thursday, January 22, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home