Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Images

I've been offered some more web managment work recently, so City Desk has come out in earnest.  I'm finding a few things though that I can't seem to do, all really around images/gallery's.

1.  In an ideal worl I'd like to be able to script a for loop to work through a list of image files in a subdirectory and do the presentation that way, so the .jpg's in the directory each get put into a standard template for display.

2. You can't upload into CityDesk a set of pictures all at once.

3. Tumbnail generation is fiddly.

4. Using the foreach loop only deals with 1 or two column list (using the odd/even).  Ideally I'd like to be able to generate a 4 column list showing my thumbnails.

The site under development is http://www.dannybourne.com/Gallery/DemoWork.html

If Citydesk isn't really the best tool to be using for gallery work, can anyone recommend a tool that I could use to generate galleries that I can point the rest of the website to?

Cheers!

Chris Rudram
Friday, January 16, 2004

I'm an amateur photographer (canon).

My suggestion here:

http://www.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/news/entries/2002/December/5.html

PD: great models and photos :)

R. Porcar
Friday, January 16, 2004

There are lots of programs that make web thumnail pages.  For example Ulead makes PhotoExplorer www.ulead.com and PhotoActions makes AlbumWeb Pro.  www.photoactions.com

They can generate the webstuff, and then you can point to the external site in your citydesk site.  I have discovered that its next to impossible to import these pages and easily convert them to articles, etc for internal CityDesk usage.  It takes lots of work.

I am hoping that version 3 of CityDesk will have more advanced scripting that will allow us to design a thumbnail page with multi rows and columns.  You can actually do 2 columns if the pics are in articles using {$ odd $} and {$ even $} scripting

Also, if you know java, javascript, php or asp you can generate your own from within CityDesk.

hope this helps some...

Jeff Kolker
Friday, January 16, 2004

> There are lots of programs that make
> web thumnail pages.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Dave
Friday, January 16, 2004

Actually you could do gallerys with more than two columns if you floated the images and positioned them with css. See http://css.maxdesign.com.au/floatutorial/tutorial0401.htm They would flow to fit however, you couldn't control the number on a line the way you can with a table.

Ken McKinney
Friday, January 16, 2004

Re "2. You can't upload into CityDesk a set of pictures all at once.", yes you can do this by dragging the images from Explorer into CityDesk.

My solution to the photo album requirement is to create an article of the same name as the image. The article is the caption of the image. I also create a thumbnail externally with the same name as the original image but with "-sm" added to the end of the filename.

With that done, I can access the large image using {$ x.filename $}.jpg and the thumbnail image as {$ x.filename $}-sm.jpg.

A bit fiddly, but since most of my images are custom-cropped to suit my needs, its not a lot of extra effort.

David Watts
Friday, January 16, 2004

Thanks for everyone's help.

With a combination of the .filename tip, the use of div's for floating out the table of thumbnails and a little thought I've come up with a solution that fits with what I wanted.

It's not perfect as yet, but it's almost there, and if I have a t set of pictures in the right format, CityDesk does the gluing.

I'm impressed how flexible I can be with CityDesk and some tips.

One small extra thing, whenever I send a picture to my photo editor (PaintShopPro7) from City Desk, it opens a new instance of the editor.  Most odd.

Thanks all!

Chris Rudram
Sunday, January 18, 2004

Another photo album generating resource: www.datadosen.se/jalbum

George Illes
Monday, January 19, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home